Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning online...

Would students learn as much or more in an online course than they would in the same course delivered in a traditional instructor-led classroom setting? Explain your answer.

Students have the opportunity to learn more online than the traditional classroom but it takes discipline. There is so much out there today to get and keep the attention of a student - use research projects, synchronous and asynchronous chat, etc. Traditional classroom assignments might not require research projects using the itnernet. A self-starter, self-disciplined student can learn in any envoironment but I feel they will do better in an online course.

It is true Marcia, that self-discipline is an essential ingredient to successful online learning . As a matter of fact, self-discipline leads to success in other areas of our lives.

Some argue that in an on-the-ground setting we cannot cater to learners' preferred styles of learning—a goal not easily achieved in an online setting when one considers some unavoidable constraints that are usually placed on course development—funding and time being the two most predominant. Yet, students have had tremendous success in online learning environments.

In an online environment, there is more time and more opportunities to express, share, and evaluate ideas particularly through asynchronous discussions than there is in a typical classroom environment.

In conclusion, once students have the requisite skills necessary for participating in learning online, I believe they would learn just as much or even more in an online environment than in a traditional classroom setting.

I feel that many students are capable of learning as much or more online as they do in the classroom environment. As was already noted in this discussion, self-discipline is key to success in both environments, but it is absolutely vital online. The lack of face-to- face interaction can have a significant impact on an unmotivated student, but even weekly attendance isn't enough in a traditional setting. Most college level courses require a significant amount of study time outside the classroom, so motivation is a much more critical factor in learning, in my opinion, than the course delivery method.

In full agreement— self-discipline is an essential ingredient to successful online learning. As a matter of fact, self-discipline leads to success in other areas of our lives.

Some argue that in an on-the-ground setting we cannot cater to learners' preferred styles of learning—a goal not easily achieved in an online setting when one considers some unavoidable constraints that are usually placed on course development—funding and time being the two most predominant. Yet, students have had tremendous success in online learning environments.

In an online environment, there is more time and more opportunities to express, share, and evaluate ideas particularly through asynchronous discussions than there is in a typical classroom environment.

In conclusion, once students have the requisite skills necessary for participating in learning online, I believe they would learn just as much or even more in an online environment than in a traditional classroom setting.

It truly depends on the student, the student instructor interaction, availability of technology and the course content. It is not a simple answer. For some students, especially those not prone to question, the environment may be conducive. For those who question and prod during a traditional class, the opposite may be true. I also believe that online training works best for courses that require synthesis and analyses. Classes with hands-on approaches such as chemistry and physics may suffer.

It would seem to me that depending on learning style and engagement opportunities provided by the instructor and the course, some students could learn more in an online class than in a traditional class. Students who are introverts or otherwise find it easier to express themselves in writing than through speech may be able to make more effective and consistent contributions through an online class. I agree with what everyone has mentioned though. One of the most critical elements of learning is self-discipline. If that is missing, the delivery mechanism of the learning loses much of its relevance.

Jennie

While the amount of information shared and the amount of knowledge gained are a function of both the skill and expertise of the instructor and the commitment and self-discipline of the student, I do feel that most students can learn as much, or more, online as in the traditional setting.

Again though, much would depend on the subject area to be covered and the implicit course need for face-to-face interaction between instructor and students.

Denzil Verardo, Ph.D.

It's possible, but it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that delivery is online. Assuming the learning outcomes are the same and the instruction is well aligned to those learning outcomes, the amount learned would be equivalent.

Students all seem to have varying degrees of success with different types of learning styles. On line learning may be another level of style difference. In some ways, the classroom model does allow a professor to observe behaviros and identify students styles more quickly than an online environment, so the pace of learning through a mid course correction might be different.

You made the statement that sometimes students participate more if there are no grades associated with the interaction, and I tend to agree, however, it may also be that students will pay more attention to the course materials in an online course because generally, there are tests to be completed successfully at shorter intervals.

But overall, it is the student who seeks the learning, and the level of learning, given an equal proficiency of an instructor, would depend on student interest and effort, and learning delivery style.

I think this module may be the answer you were seeking when you posted your question in Forum 2. Maybe something we should all consider - the design of the on line program may make a lot of difference.

I think this may depend on the student. Though I have no scientific evidence to support my arguement, I believe that different personalities, or biological make ups may find one, or the other more effective. Based on this I would conclude that there is a prediposition to better perform in that environment that is aligned with your personality.

Hi All,
This response is meant for all students who have registered for this course and have posted a response to this question.

In my review of the responses to this question, I noted several noteworthy observations, among which are:

Successful online learning requires self-discipline.
Instructor's proficiency and competency.
Student's learning style.
The design of the online learning experience.

All of the above factors influence the degree to which students achieve the desired learning outcomes.

Self-discipline, especially as it applies to time management is a mandatory skill for successful online learning.

Catering to the different learning styles students bring with them is a significant challenge when designing the course as well as managing the learning experience. Truly catering to the different learning styles of students can lead to the creation of different versions of the course----an objective which budgetary as well as time constraints may forbid. While we may not be able to cater the learning style of each student, we can certainly strive to strike a balance by including in the instructional transactions, whenever it is appropriate for the instructional treatment of the content learning experiences that are multi-sensory, and highly interactive. Of course, other design considerations to promote successful online learning center around the structural integrity of the course as well as navigational simplicity.

It is my opinion that students can achieve the same level of learning in an online environment, as they would in a traditional classroom setting; however, in some situations, it may require more effort from the Instructor. For example, they may be required to monitor the Discussion forum more often to cater to the needs of what one respondent termed the “questioning student”.
Satrohan

While self discipline and preferred learning styles are important factors in how effective online education is, I think that in today's world, most students expect to do a great deal of their education online. It is an environment that is becoming more developed and user friendly and the students are comfortable in this environment for the most part. Online courses allow students to take more time in their responses to questions and more time to learn the material.

Jean:
Your conclusions about the feasibility of online learning are solid.

Question for You
If you were faced with slecting a candidate for a job, would your comfort level be the same if you were to choose a candidate who graduated from an online program versus a candidate who graduated from a program, the courses of which were delivered in a traditional classroom setting?
Satrohan

Online learning gives the student the oportunity to review a module as many times as necessary to absorb the material provided. If given texts and assignments,asynchronous forums and the possibility of synchronous chat partisipation(If the students time zone does not present a problem),the student will be able to learn more and retain what they have learned in a shorter time frame. In an onground class the student is expected to physically be in the class for a pre scheduled time, at times, more often than not, is not a convenient time for the learner. Modules may not be repeated, lectures are not repeated and the student calander schedule is made by the instructor not the student. I believe the learner will be able to learn more in an online course.

Your points are well taken, Sylvia. The position you have taken will hold its ground provided that, as a minimum, students are disciplined and exercise time-managements skills.
Satrohan

I believe it requires the same amount of effort in all aspects. It will require the instuctor to foster paticipation in both asynchronous and synchronous learning. Being supportative, having time to participate with your students on-line.being prepare and knowing your subject material. Keeping the course actively learner centered.

This is very much dependent on the student and the course. Students who are motivated can learn in any environment. The biggest challenge in the classroom setting with this student is not boring them trying to teach to the median. However, using special projects and extra work, these students can learn at their pace and get a lot from the class. In an online setting, again, I believe that the motivated student can learn more. I do believe that the online course gives the not so motivated student a greater chance for success due to the time factor. Classroom students have to learn at the pace of the class, and unless they are good notetakers, with good study habits, can get lost very easily and lose interest. Whereas, the online learner can repeat lessons over and over to get the knowledge. They can repeat as many times as necessary, within the confines of the time limit for the class, to gain the expected knowledge. I believe that online learning can benefit the individual who does not have the motivation to attend school as long as the course is properly structured.

James, I totally agree with you. When I begin a new on ground class my main goal is to motivate all students by capturing their attention by any means possible. Being a motivator by nature it is not very difficult for me to keep the number of students that I start with the same as I end with. There are those few that seem to only come to class because they have to, what ever the reason. To motivate these unwilling students is my quest for the duration of the class. The more motivated learners are encouraged to help these few unwilling learners without them knowing that this is what is expected of them. This is part of my class participation grade. How my motivation methods will work in an online class will have to be a mystery to me until I have a few classes under my belt. Could you give me a few pointers?

Sign In to comment