Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Distribution to Multiple Locations

On line learning is our next big move, as we have multiple locations with a few students, and potential overseas applications as well. I'm a bit concerned about being able to deliver the education as well as we can in person, so I'm taking this course.

Jeffrey;
What do you foresee as potential problems that could stand in your way to achieve the learning outcomes in your courses as effectively as you have done in the traditional classroom setting?
Satrohan

Jeffrey, I had the very same fears as you have now and I resisted teaching on-line for many years. My greatest fears were how will I effectively teach my students without seeing them? And will my classroom teaching experience prepare me for the on-line environment??

I overcame my fears by doing exactly what you are doing here. Taking an on-line course and evaluating the methods used in that course. And research, research, research. :)

Today I love teaching both on-line and in the classroom and am happy to help you make this transition in any way I can.

Krista

Krista:
We all benefit from researching what others are doing in both the design and development of the course as well as its online delivery. I really appreciate your willingness to help others.
Satrohan

Hello Jeffrey,

I am in the same situation as you are. I feel that online is an excellent opportunity for students overseas, as well as those in the USA, to gain a practical understanding of the materials. The format is a difficult one, but one I am sure we will learn more about here!

My main concern is condensing materials for a first run of an online class. In person, I can judge how well students are understanding the material. Online, my concern is that I will have a bit more difficulty with that concept.

Additionally, I think it will be a great deal of effort to initially set up classes for overseas education. But, hopefully, once that initial workload is completed, we should have a very strong course completely up and running!

Laura

Hi All!
Institutions who focus on generating revenue by marketing their courses to overseas students must consider a few challenges.

1. Can the target population afford the fees?

2. Is the institution prepared to fund the cost to revise the learning objectives and content to match the job-requirements in different countries?

3. Is the institution prepared to fund Instructors proficient in the language of instruction? The same applies to Technical support staff.

4. How soon will the international audience be exhausted?

In other words, will this be a profitable venture?
Satrohan

I currently share those same concerns about being effective and dynamic in delivering an online course as I now am with traditional classroom courses. Students in the classroom can see my enthusiasm through my communications--verbal as well as nonverbal. By doing this online training course, I hope to acquire techniques and methodologies that will give me the confidence that I can be successful in teaching online courses. This is a good first step in that process.

Mary:
We acknowledge the loss to both students and Instructors of the benefits fosterd by face-to-face learning. Make appropriate use of video-clips, aduio segments, narrated PowerPoints, and frrequent communication with your students. These have been known to compensate for the lost of synergya nd dynamism of the classrom setting.
Satrohan

I too appreciate this kind gesture Krista!

Online students can gain an immediate feeling of "belonging" in the class when they see the facilitator display your kindness!

Hi Satrohan,

It seems that your questions are similar to the types of questions all businesses should ask themselves before embarking on any NEW program/product?

Thanks for sharing!

I am just being to do research on line programs, so the questions that you have posted were really important to me. A couple of them were not on my list of consideration. My main thought so far has been the question of what it will take to network with companies to ensure that a program delivered online will be equally recognized for employment opportunities. I have taken one online course recently and as an employer, I know that I would not have hired myself based on how the course was delivered. There was no way for anyone to fail any of the quizzes or exams. Exams were structured in multiple choice or true/false only. So to do this, I need to ensure that employers will recognize the equal value of in class as opposed to online learning.

Suzanne:
As far as I know, program recognition is within th edomain of Accreditation boards. They approve the Curriculum. The next task is for you to develop quality online courses that would meet the requirments of the Curriculum. If you will be outsourcing, you will have to write a very detailed RFP---one that focused on online learning, then use well established criteria to evaluate the responses and selet a vendor. This is not as easy as it may sound in the few sentences I have shared here. For example, we know that one of primary weaknesses in the process of selecting a suitable E-Learning Vendor poorly written RFPs.
Satrohan

I think that there should be video of who is in the classroom sort of like a distance learning model coupled with internet, etc.

Sheila:
Please elaborate on the solution you are recommending. What are some measures you will have to take to ensure that video-conferencing is effective? What other learning and teaching technologies would you employ?
Satrohan

The first step would be to have the institution include in tuition technology necessary for profs and students to be visible to one another during certain times in the semester. Pther opportunities could include developing a website for the course for additional information, etc.

I have taught soley on line for 2 years - even taught students in the distance learning environment oversees and have not seen any substancial issues with this. It is truly up to the instructor to provide certain aspects of the course to the students - being more creatie, innovative,yet having the same academic integrity.

Laura,

The format does get "easier" (so-to-speak) as you get more practice "instructing" in the online environment. I wouldn't teach in the classroom environment since teaching in the online environment - I love the diversity of the class as well as with the students.

Sign In to comment