Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Chat rooms

Some students may have difficult accessing the chat room if this is something that they have never experienced.

Kelly:
The difficulty has to be resolved. Any suggestions on how to rsolve it?
Satrohan

Try giving specific questions or concerns and not just leaving an open door; it is too broad. Then the student can become more involved.

Is it appropriate to limit a chat session by time or should we allow for the most participation that a topic can generate?

Bernie Sarra

Bernie,

Good question - in part it will be based on how the class is structured. I usually do a few discussion per week, but work with them actively over a few weeks.

Your course may have larger questions that span all of the content, and those could be discussed all term.

Best,

Jon

Do you find that students are hesitant to participate in chats the same way in which in a classroom some hesitate from taking part in discussion?

Do you evaluate students for grades based on chats? Do you find more students ask their questions or initiate discussion in private sessions during 'office hours'?

Warren,

Great questions. I find that students that attend text chats are more likely to participate that "typical" students in a classroom. This is even more so with asynchronous discussions. I don't grade chats, since I use them as office hours, but I will grade discussions.

Best,

Jon

This is a good idea. I have gotten a lot more participation by providing students with an outline of discussion topics relevent to the material, and a short Q & A session where they can earn extra-credit points by answering questions. These questions are included in the outline so those who wish to and have time can research them and be ready when I present the questions in the chat. I give them seven seconds in which to respond, and allow all responses.

Interesting use - especially the extra credit idea - Thanks!

Jon

In the online environment, try giving specific instructions. If that fails have the student contact tech support. The student may not have the right type of computer capacity for accessing the chats or there may be something wrong with the platform versus the student's computer.

Add some polls as ice breakers to get participation.

In todays time everybody is texting. It is the new way of commcating. So if being cool helps them learn so be it.

Luciano,

I agree, many LMS systems are even starting to support it.

Jon

True, but in keeping with the idea of catering to the lowest ability level, explicit and detailed instructions should be included as to how to access the chat feature.

Will,

I agree, it never hurts to have extra instructions available.

Jon

I would think that the shy students may tend to use a chat room, rather than participate in a live discuusion. For the most part it gives them a chance to open up and be a participant. I personally cannot stand the phone texting everyone does these days. I dont feel that texting has anything to do with an online course chat room.

Jon,

Good point - chats that work (either text or voice) do better if they have some definition to them (in terms of times and topics).

Thanks,

Jon

I think that chat rooms are more useful than live discussions. Live discussions sometimes have technical issues and not every learner have access to other technologies such web cams or microphones.

Sign In to comment