Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How Much Technological Expertise Does It Take?

Developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

Hello

To better answer, this question one must ask for the definition of "technological wizards." With the assumption that is actually means someone with a higher education of technology, I would say no. In my opinion, developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards, but they need to understand education and how to put the course together in a rational manner to build continuity between assignments and competency goals. In addition, they need to be able to assess student’s performance and foster learning. Yes, basic computer skills would be of necessity but this trade does not take a super savvy computer tech.

I agree that it isn't necessary for developers of online courses to be technological wizards. Just as it's not necessary to always have the most cutting-edge technology in the classroom, a good teacher doesn't need to know all the ins and outs of technology to create a compelling and successful online course.

Understanding the basic technology being used by the learning management system will make it possible for instructors to understand how they can effectively develop the provided aspects of the course. For instance, using Blackboard Collaborate requires some basic understanding of how to import files, how to use the microphone and video camera, and also how to record sessions. It also helps to know how long it will take a new recording to be viewable by students. However, beyond this basic understanding, it is more important that a teacher understand the basics of educational pedagogy than have technological wizardry. As the basic elements of course design are intact when designing online courses, an understanding of course design is more important than an understanding of web design.

Hello Shelly,

Having a expertise is definitely a true asset; however having one with that learns quickly, along with the eagerness to learn and the necessary background can always be groomed as a expert. You have to start somewhere....

BRIGITTE ,
I do recommend that all instructors become familiar with every technology that is being used in their own classroom. Students will look to you first for help.

Shelly Crider

Michael,
Being able to transfer knowledge to a student via computer.....you are right....bottom line is a teacher must teach.

Shelly Crider

Zakevia,
Indeed you do! So as instructors we need to be learning a few techy things each term!

Shelly Crider

I believe that the developers of a course usually is not a single individual. With that being said, the team in wich you would have working on a course would have a wide variety of skill sets. Yes, some would have to have a heightened level of technological savviness, others would be well versed in the art of teaching. In addition, depending on the field of study, some would have limited knowledge of the technological cabilities pertaining to the delivery software/interface, yet considered a content matter expert on the given topic.

I agree. I think they need to have skills in several areas and be comfortable working with the software to develop a good course. If they do not have any technological skills, their course is likely to be boring to some students.

Dr. Moerland

Richard,
Teamwork is stressed in the work place, it should be in our classes as well!

Shelly Crider

I agree. The biggest challenge is how to translate those soft skills that we use everyday in on-ground instructional delivery into an on-line environment. How many times have we had the tone or the intention of an email misread by the audience? Because there is no face-to-face interaction at the time they are reading an asynchronous email, student's perception of our comments may differ from our intentions. Technology helps mediate that distance between student and instructor, but it also presents new challenges.

HI

I think developers need to be comfortable with technology and see what is available to create a more dynamic course. I don't think they need to be "wizards", but it definitely helps to be savvy and eager to learn new technologies.

Thanks!

Jocelyn M. Dervis

That depends on your definition of a wizard. I would have used the term competent. Powerpoint is a great example. I'm not a wizard but I can read the directions on how to add backgrounds, use charts and graphs, and import photographs. However, I have problems adding sound. Can I get the job done? I think so. I might need some help with the sounds and seek out that wizard you refer to.

I agree. However, I think that you should have a relatively good working knowledge of technology - especially using the internet. This willl allow you to effectively and efficiently research information that may be useful for your course. It would also benefit developers to take a few online training classes to help them understand where they can get the material they will need for their courses.

Les

Philip,
Trial and error.....this is how I have learned along the way as well! We, non-wizards, can also sit in on free webinars....thus adding to our professional development as well!

Shelly Crider

I think it depends on how the development team is structured. I know of teams where the developer is required to add all the technological aspects him/herself and others send the course on to another team or person to add in the technology. There are a number of course development software products that enable the novice to animate, etc. This can also be an issue because technology might be added in without considering the learning strategies. Rather than enhancing the course, it ends up being a distraction.

Kathryn,
We do not need distracting classes. This is why it is good to have some sort of quality control in the development of classes.

Shelly Crider

I do not believe that you need to be technological wizard to develop an online course. However, you need to have some knowledge of the platform you are using, as well as other software products if you want to develop an innovated course.

Disagree: Reasons are that when an issue arises that may interfere with the success of a student due to technical issues, the designers and support team should already have a work-around in place to fix this. Students' grades are very important to them, so if issues arise where items do not line or match up or cause unnecessary confusion, this student could become disengaged and feel defeated when trying to be successful in class.

Cherise,
You do need knowledge of the platform you are working with as students will go to the facilitator first for help.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment