Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

running an in class and e-learning concurrently

One of the reasons for taking this course is to learn how to effective make an online course. We are looking at two of our current programs to see if we can run an e-learning course at the same time as there is one going in class. We realize that this is not an option for everyone (time zone issues, work hours, family, etc) but for those where it would work, e-learning students would be able to video conference into the classroom and in class students would be matched up with e-learning students for projects. There are many pitfalls I can see, but I am interested in hearing what others may think.

My initial reactions Suzanne------chaos, a course management nightmare for the Instructor. I suggest the classes be run separately---one for online students, the other for traditional classroom students.

Just in case your institution moves forward with this combination, I would be interested tolearn the results of pairing online students with on-the-ground students for group projects.
Satrohan

A recent community college catalog listed a remote location class as a video conference interactive class. My impression was that they would do as you propose, Suzanne. Students would participate in a video conference setting with a class going on in another location. As an instructor, I would find it hard to involve students on a monitor and involve them with students in the classroom. Perhaps the students in the remote location could also be part of the ongoing class through the projection of the monitor so the entire class could see the remote students and hear their input. As a remote student, I think I would be frustrated and would feel left out.

The way that we were looking at (if we ran the online concurrently with in class) would be that the online students would be on a video conferencing system that would allow total viewing and interaction with the inclass students. This would not be done with everything but we thought it would be useful if at least once a week they were able to see, hear and chat with others taking the class from a campus.

Now it is becoming clearer to me Suzanne. I believe there is somemerit to this approach as long as you can synchronize both groups of students often enough.
Satrohan

Christine:
A video-conference interactive class is, in my opinion, exactly what it says. The Instructor and the students interact with each other for the duration of the session using video-conferencing software applications. I have never seen the scenario to which you are alluding. You may want to contact the community college and inquire about the delivery strategy because I fully agree with you, the strategy you cited will create a significant imbalance in the level of attention individual students receive. Moreover, I strongly believe it will become a nightmare to manage, and the integrity with which grades are assigned could very well be questioned.
Satrohan

In theory, I think this is an interesting concept. Students would be able to gain multiple perspectives from those in the class and those who were taking the online class. One fear that I have about online learning (not really a fear, but a concern or perhaps a musing) is students gaining a feeling of learning in a vacuum. Actually seeing your classmates occassionally might be a cure for that. Then again, I always think of things in the context of a literature classroom where additional perspectives typically enhance the learning environment. Nonetheless, I can see where this may become a management issue.

I believe that this is theoretically possible, as I have never done it before. I believe it would add to the learning experience of both groups (on line and on ground)

It can be done, and many students enjoy the format.

Jon

To those following this thread . . .
The complexity of such an approach as concurrent formats is interesting to evaluate. As adjunct faculty in a Technical College, I taught a single component of a classroom course which included Arterial Blood Gas sampling and analysis. Using three types of class learning environments, my designed module required all students to participate in each module 1, 2, 3 in order. The students were required to pass the Web-based course, then the laboratory practicum, then the clinical application. Student learning outcomes were measurable and were very good.

awesome!

Sign In to comment