Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interaction

It is important for students to have verbal interaction with other students and the instructor.

Kelly:
Please elaborate on the importance of verbal interaction.
Satrohan

Do you mean that students in an on-line course must be able to speak with their instructor and classmates? Can you explain why students need to speak with their instructor as opposed to posting a message in the course, participating in a chat, emailing or using an Instant Messaging program?

Krista:
I am not sure to whom your question is directed. My experience dictates that verbal communication is not necessary; the other methods of communication you have mentioned have been satisfactory for Instructors with whom I have worked.
Satrohan

In the study of communications we a discuss a concept we call "Media Rich." The more that a communication method or tool can be more like face-to-face communication, the more readily accepted that form of communication becomes. While online courses sometimes do not have the component of verbal interaction with students, if an Instructor can find ways to simulate verbal interaction whether it be via software such as Breeze, or Podcasts the more online education can become like an actual on ground class environment, satisfying some students needs for verbal interaction. As technology advances the ability to enhance online learning experiences and to move online education into a more face-to-face environment will happen, making online education "media rich."

Great ieas, Kathleen. Success in adopting emerging technologies in online learning will depend on their affordability.
Satrohan

Hi Everybody,

The intent of an online, asynchronous course is to allow the students, and the facilitators to post questions/comments at their convenience. There should be no reason for a facilitator to have oral communication with their students. On the other hand though, I believe it is incumbent upon the facilitator to post some BIO material on him/her self that reflects their interests outside of class. What does everybody else think??

Thanks!

John

GOOD comments Kathleen!

These days, some schools have been incorporating the usage of webcams to have this "face-to-face" interaction that you mentioned. I don't personally feel it is necessary, but I do believe the facilitator (or school) should be able to make that determination. One thing for sure though, is that schools should be sensitive to requiring additional hardware/software needs for their students!

What does the group think on this subject??

Thanks!

You have made some good points here too, John. I stroinglt believe that Institutions should keep abreast of emerging learning technologies, determine which ones will be applicable ofr the instution as well as the students, and budget for these technologies
Satrohan

Yes! I feel that having verbal interaction thru chat is awesome. Not all online courses offer this (chat), only discussion boards and threads. Frustrations can build while waiting on a response do to time zones, schedules etc.

Colleen:
In my opinion, Asynchronous Discussion Forums should minimize the frustrations you mentioned because students can post their responses at any time unless you have specified turnaround times or the Discussion thread is no longer active.
Satrohan

I don't necessarily think it's important for the students to be able to verbally speak to each other. Email & chat rooms suffice. I do think it's important for the students to be able to call the instructor if they need to.

Lisa:
Calls to the Instructor has to be managed in a timely manner. Some Instructors accept calls furing their virtual office hours; others dedicate a portion of their virtual office hours to receiving phone calls.
Satrohan

I post my cell phone number on the site for my online courses and get 1-3 calls for an 8 week 25 student course. I have called struggling students to listen to their concerns and offer some advice. I find that both means are helpful for these students, but I would not say it is something that all students need.

Mark

Mark:
I am surprised atthelow number of calls you receive; nevertheless, calling your students is an excellent way to show that you care about their success; even if that is the only result you achieve. Many times, no matter what an Instructor does, students still remain with unresolved problems or drop out. At least when you call, you lessen the probability of feeling that you are in any way responsible for their failure.
Satrohan

I don't think that students need to have verbal interaction with each other, other than in chat rooms or via discussion boards. However, I do like the idea of being able to talk with students via phone or video conferencing as needed. I feel that it allows the instructor to touch base in a more personal way and may help the student to stay focused and have a sense of belonging. Studying online can feel frustrating at times if you don't have a support or sounding board when you need it.

Suzanne:
I fully agree with your recommendations about speaking to students via phone and video-conferencing. I also feel that verbal communications among students will add to the "sense of belonging".
Satrohan

Tonight I begin a fifteen week science course that will be a hybrid - a two hour lab session on Monday evenings with the balance of the course being done on-line. Much of the on-line experience will be done using a discussion board with a series of forums (student participation in each forum is mandatory.) I believe asynchronous postings greatly encourage students participation since there is no pressure to respond immediately - there is time to reflect and compose ones thoughts. I shall be very interested to see if the on-line participation enhances the on-site participation by those students who are normally reticent to join in a face to face conversation.

I believe that it is good if the instructor is able to actually call the student and give a little verbal attention. We, as humans, like to know that someone cares. I am not saying all the time, but just once a week or for clarification only. Keeping it all business.

As far as the students needing contact with other students, I don't really think it is necessary, plus they will bypass all the negativity of the others and are able to stay focused.

Yes. Students can actually interpret a question 180 degrees in the opposite direction due to the language; whereas, the instructor already has the answer in sight and doesn't see the potholes that the students fall in. Communication is the key to all things.

Sign In to comment