Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs in classroom

Online classes are great for those who have busy schedules and families.

Kelly:
Online learning is convenient for the learning populations you have specified. Online courses are also convenient for full-time students. What qualities must an online course possess to facilitate successful online learning?
Satrohan

A person with a family or full time job is attempting to take traditional person-person classes the options may be limited by time. In an online class, however, the issue of a set schedule may not be as stringent. Classes may be viewed late or early in the day allowing a student the freedom to access their education at their convenience. Online learning is convenient but must be accompanied by self motivation. A student must want to access, discuss and submit assignments versus an instructor encouraging a student to open their books and take notes.

Your points are well taken, Olga. Keep in mind that the quality of the online learning experience is a primary driver on successful online learning.
Satrohan

I agree, with today's technology people with busy schedules and no time to to be in a classroom get take advantage of on line courses and and get the leaning needed

The best thing I see for these types of course is the gas pricing. It will give the individual with low income the ability to save gas money.

Interesting observation, Jo.
Satrohan

I think on-line courses will be valuable to those students, especially the ones right out of high school, who have completed at least a year of their program and are committed to their education. Some first-year students may not have the discipline to follow through an on-line course.

Stephen:
Your recommendation certainly has some merits. I would recommend that instead of waiting for the second year to launch the online courses, studenst should take one or two courses in their online program in the first year. This will be a more gradual immersion into online learning and the "discipline" to which you refer.
Satrohan

I agree that online classes are good for busy folks. The information that you gain from an online class is equal to & sometimes better than what you would receive if you were actually sitting in a classroom. It's also nice to be able to access a lecture as many times as is needed..just in case you don't get all the pertinent info the first time around.

Lisa:
Repeated access is a benefit we sometimes tend to overlook. Thanks for mentioning.
Satrohan

All of the points made were right on target for the question. I especially agree with the comment that students must WANT to access their on-line courses and learn. Motivation is the key to success whether it is in the classroom or on-line. Having interesting, multi-media resources for the on-line program can really enhance the learning experience, but more importantly it can encourage the student to 'check it out' to see what else is new in the course.

Joanne:
Interactive multi-media seem to be appealing to all ages and would certainly entice students to delve into the materials.
Satrohan

To answer for myself…I find myself (and my students) looking for an education that will impart the same skills and confidence to the learner; yet, have the flexibility to be accesses from home. I am (like many of my students) working full time and have kids. I also want to keep my professional opportunities growing. Online courses are my only option. I am glad to see so many new opportunities available.

The students save time because they have zero travel time. On the other hand, it takes a motivated student to set aside time, and it takes a motivated teacher to learn how to motivate the student to set aside time.

Roy:
Thank you for sharing your preference with us. Many people choose online education for the same reasons. And yes; quality online courses should be able to, for a multitude of content domains, provide the same skills and confidence in the learner. Same "skills" will not be possible when we are dealing with psychomotor skills and other truly performance-based learning in which the consequences of error are grave. A hybrid approach will meet both the knowledge and skill requirements. A face-to-face approach and participation in live labs and hands-on activities is the ideal.
Satrohan

Stephen:
Motivation is an important factor for successful online learning. Motivation can be driven by personal goals; be they long-term or short-term. The success factor that, in my opinion, stands above all is self-discipline whether we complete the online learning at home or in a library or a learning center; especially if we complete the course at home where there are so any distractors.
Satrohan

Well, onground is good because you get to see all the information plus the instructor face to face. But online is good because it saves an individual financially as well as travel time. And it it would also be more convenient.

I agree that online course are perfect for busy students. It is also very convient with students struggling to put gas in their car to make it to school.

Online classes are great for those with time and transportation issues. Online classes are also excellent for students that are technologically capable. I believe traditionally classroom will still serve as an outstanding source for the majority of students for the forseeable future.

Sign In to comment