Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Academic Integrity

The difficulty I have with online learning has to do with academic integrity. I know a large number of people who have taken online courses and have cheated either with exams or papers. I am very interested in learning and working with online learning, but I am just uncertain about this aspect of it.

Computer Skills

The students I work with tend to be a paradox. Most people assume that younger people these days are computer literate. However, this is often not the case with my students. The structure suggested in this module to enhance online learner for these students is ideal because it would make it easier for them once they have had some sort of hands on orientation to computer skills and online learning.

Communication outside of the schools official online tools

I am curious how others feel about the use of methods of communication outside the official school online tools. I have found the official tools are often lacking well behind the tools being used by most students such as gmail, chat clients, and skype.

customizing student output

how do we as the Instructors enhance student empowerment?

exploring Input and today's student

I think this exercise is great for adult students

why use holistic assessment

does this really work? have anyone incorporated this into their studies?

Wikis

I use Wilis with my students both online and on ground to collaborate. They seems to like it

Combining multiple choice and essay

While creating exams how would you combine the two when grading them automatically?

Teaching Math on line

Has anybody looked into Khan Academy videos? What do you think? - Elma Hartunian

Feedback From Online Instructors

One of the biggest complaints I hear about online instruction is that the instructor does not give quick feedback. Any ideas?

Plagiarism

Plagiarism is a major concern in our online classes. Fortunately there are resources such as Turnitin.com to catch offenders. The question we struggle with is how much similarity (measure by percentage plagiarized) constitutes cheating? For example, some instructors argue that only 0% is acceptable, other contend that anything under 15-20% is allowed. Thoughts?

Feedback and Changes

I have designed websites and thought the site was "logically" organized based on my interpretation, but feedback from users was quite different. How much effort should be placed on soliciting feedback from users and then incorporating suggestions into the layout of the course? After all isn't it more important that the "look and feel" of the course work for the student rather than the designer?

Absorb, Do, Connect

I like to use the Absorb, Do, Connect method when teaching online course. I find it to be well organized, user friendly and very interactive. The absorb stage is designed for the student to learn the new concept by reading, watching or listening to something. In the do stage, they have an exercise or experiment to put the new skill in action. Then the connect stage helps them to link the skill to prior knowledge or to future uses in life or the workplace. Does anyone else use this method? What are your thoughts?

Transformation Age

This generation is growing in the transformation age which means that technology is prevalent in many facets. The traditional way of learning will be the thing of the past as technology keeps improving.

Why standardized test?

Since standardized tests have not been proven to provide the real life learning outcome, why is it that some educational institutions are still using these test to meet their criteria?

Transformative learning outcome

I must agree with Mezirow. He stated the more students become "producers" of knowledge, the more they realize the value of what they are learing and see the application to their own lives.

Should nomadic learners be integrated with the traditional learner?

I believe so. This process of learner will not only enhance their horizon in learning but also integrate the concerns one instructor may face with the nomadic learner.

Student input

Care must be taken when using student input. Some students are very uninformed on the topic but try to persuade you to their point of view. If they add information to a topic the instructor must check the facts very carefully or other students will be gravely misinformed.

Poor Diagram

The diagram at the beginning of the "Dynamic Forms of Communication" section is exceedingly poorly designed. As best as I can tell, it's supposed to be a digraph where the nodes are the students, the instructor, and the content; and the edges are communication channels. The problem is, instead of having edges going from student to content and teacher to content, they added another node labelled "both" and put edges pointing from that node to content. In a graph with only three nodes and no multiple edges, there's no excuse for introducing a "both" node. The diagram would have been… >>>

Is usability important

Will all users find the interface design and navigation easy to use? Shall the interface include instructions?