Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wikis

I use Wilis with my students both online and on ground to collaborate.
They seems to like it

How do wikis differ from a standard discussion board?

I have just recently been introduced to wikis and find them to be excellent tools to help students organize material - understand the overarching objectives or goals of the course and also it can be used as an academic blueprint. I have not used them with discussion although I understand that there are blogs/discussion threads that can be utilized?

Grace,
Indeed they can and are very effecient as well.

Shelly Crider

Can you elaborate on this a little further? I am not at all familiar with this.

Rina,
Check out this website....http://www.wikispaces.com/. I think you will find it helpful and insightful!

Shelly Crider

Grace,

Yes, indeed. My only caution would be to be sure of the capabilites and abilities of the learners in the class.

I hope that helps,

Doug

That's a great point, Doug. I have yet to utilize any engaging technology that did not first require me spending a significant amount of time discussing and demonstrating. While I actually enjoy doing so, the time factor must be considered. Then, you must engage in a not-so-simple assessment costs and benefits. While tools like wikis can be great for a large number of students, many will resist. For that reason, I suggest incorporating the use of such technologies into group work; further, I would allow groups to choose between various options of tools (some with less technological experience required) to use while completing their assignments.

~Michael

Wiki is a perfect resource avenue! I find it very helpful myself Elma.

Sign In to comment