Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Medical Terminology

When introducing games how do you deal with the students that don't want to "play".

I let her sit quietly as we play around her and then I direct questions down the row with her being last , she will see that she is in the row and that her time is coming to answer. When it get to her she is ready and answers and then she is "in" and particapating

For students that don"t want to play..I give them the task of creating a game, that plays to her/his  strength

I typically pair them with a outgoing student.  The lack of participation usually comes from shy students.  When their partner is not shy and outspoken enough for the two of them.  This gives the shy student the confidence to participate without being the most noticible student.

I too wil pair an outgoing student with another who may not be as outgoing and not willing to speak up and I try and make sure the outgoing student does not take over but allows the "shy" student to be the one who gives the answeres from the activitiy and to be the one who is in "charge" of the group.  This seems to bring out the willingness in the "shy" student and helps them learn as well

I ususally group them with outgoing and not so outgoing and switch roles when they see how much fun it can be. This allows the shy students to enjoy and then become part of the activity. We have a diverse group of learners here and I understand shyness but we are here to help them overcome those fears and breaking them in slowly without them realizing it is a great way.

I agree that paring a shy student, or one who is reluctant to participate with an more outgoing student does usually work.  I will also try to utilize that student in a way that they are either keeping score in a game, assisting me with preparation or observation of the activity. We often put photos of activities on our school's Facebook page, so allowing a student to take pictures to post exposes them to the activity and the learning f the content without increasing what they may percieve as "risky" activity.

Sign In to comment