Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PowerPoint teaching versus Lecturing from book

Is one method better than the other or should I incorporate both?

I was tautht that PowerPoints were for the new generation of learners.  I use them frequently, but interstingly, some of my students has expressed a desire for traditonal lecture.  I believe the reason being that they enjoy the give and take and discussion included in lectures.  They can interact with me more instead of just being passive and watching a PowerPoint presentation.  What I have been doing is to use both together now.  During the presentation, I use open-ended questions to initiate the discussion and tell stories of my experiences in practice.

I like using both. The power point can add good visuals for those who are visual learnners, and can add more flavor to perhaps a lecture on a dry subject.

Definitely incorporate both. I have found that most of the Generation Y students definitely like power points vs. traditional lectures. Most of the students like the guidance they receive from the tiles used in power points.  Most students have told me they like having a visual direction, and power points help fill that need.

Reply to Brian Yee's post:

I use both also, and I try to throw in some audio and hands-on things in the lecture too.  I pull up some you-tube demonstraions and I have props or models to put in the students hands too.  I find that the students stay more engaged and my retention stays high, and my stress level goes down. 

Reply to Sandra Rosenberg's post:

Whan I was working on my bachelors many instructors used power points with lecture. We had copies of the power points and could folloe along and make notes - it cut down on the time spent making notes that interfer with listening to the lecture. However the lectures were not repititions of the power points - they were expansions, explanations, examples etc. I have also taken many courses online because of my location, but much prefer lectures. I get a lot more out of lectures. I do not like just reading from the power point. I can do that at home.  

Students love to have PowerPoints they view them as reliable and tools they can use for passing tests, rather than a resource for digging deep into the content.

Sign In to comment