Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Edible Cell

This would be great to use when teaching Hematology, you could even make anemic cells, and polycythemic cells by adding more or less red coloring to the jello. Using various cookie molds you could even cut out the various red blood cell shapes seen in diseases such as in sickle cell anemia.

Sandra, thank you for using your creativity in applying this creative idea to the topic you teach. I think this is a wonderful idea and I hope you use it.

Michele Deck

I have used playdough instead and the cell is edible but you can do a plant cell and an animal cell and use different things as the items -- I split them into two groups 1 did a plant and 1 did an animal and then they taught the other group about the cell they made nad how they differ. Also another neat idea that has worked in classes in the past -- I had an edible heart cake before and used edible markers to show the pathway of blood.

I think this is a wonderful idea. This combines kinesthetics and visual interactivity. Not to mention, students will definitely be interested and entertained because (in my experience) students love food!

I agree that the activity is fun and engaging but would prefer to see it done with food that is good for you - a lesson we all need reinforced!So lets see - organelles could be different berries adn perhps the cytoplasm a shaped slice of watermelon.

Abigail, you are indeed thinking in the right nutritional terms. Good food can be memorable, too!

Michele Deck

I incorporated this into my anatomy/physiology class. Half the class thought it was a total waste of time. The other half was more concerned about eating candy than using it to create a cell. Several students commented that they weren't paying tuition to do art class. You have to learn what teaching methods each student responds to best. I won't do this activity again for two reasons: The students who didn't like it learned nothing from it, and the time spent on this activity was too great. In an acclerated program of adult learners, this particular activity didn't work.

Wendy, I'm sorry this one didn't go over well with your learners. I applaud you for trying a new activity, because there is a chance it could work for your learners. Good luck and keep your learners active in ways you know they will like.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment