Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students can learn and communicate through various outlets.  Be sure to test them and know what resources the students will need to make it successful.

In this module I have learned that even though the students are online we will still need to find an effective way to communicate with them.  

i've learned the value of online content and keeping them engage with it.

Communicaiton is once again focused on as a key. Knowing what tools are available and the correct type of audaince is really important.  Phone conversation for 1 on 1 and small group may work but for larger a tool like Hangout or Zoom may be better when participants can be muted and control who talks.

It had not thought about using a system where the kids could interact with each other.  

This module was a good overview and recap of technology tools for effective online course communications. It also served as a good reminder of using proper tools, evaluating technology tools and assessing the effectiveness of the chosen technology tools.

I'm assuming many of these topics we are learning about apply to post-secondary schooling.  All classes that apply to secondary education that I have taken have been adamant about not using social media or texting to communicate with students.  As it has been stated, I would like to investigate this more as students are more likely to use a social media app rather than e-mail.

I have never used social media, because I have children who would not be able to use it effectively.   However, it can be useful as it has already the structures in place for an online classroom, for instance, to be created.  But blocking unwanted intruders might be tricky.  There are platforms that are classroom replicators on Adobe Presenter, but the communication is lagged.  VoIP migh be used as a classroom tool, but there is lag time there as well. 

I learned some types of large meeting software available for use in online instruction. I specifically plan to use adobe connect professional and elluminate for my classes.

When it comes to choosing technology tools to utilize in an online course, we need to evaluate our options and assure that the tools align with the learning outcomes and communication goals.

I learned that there are a variety of communication tools and with careful, intentional research, you can find the ones that best meets the needs of your class.  Obtaining feedback is essential to determining the effectiveness of the communication tools used.  Monitoring is a must to ensure only students in the class have access and that timely feedback is provided.  Guidelines must be set and communicated to students.

Another thing online teachers need to be concerned about is what there current LEA wil and will not support you in! Something I do do with every form of communication is I hold on to a copy of every communication ffrom parents, students, colleagues or adminstration!

while making the transition to in class teaching to online, i have found staying in contact with your students, is a way for them to achieve success. having a group for side chat is a great tool as it helps the students to communicate with the instructor, as well as the other classmates, for questions or comments regarding classwork.

-The importance of identifying relevant communications tool.

-Survey students to help determine which tools they're familiar with.

-Determine the pros and cons of the tools to be used.

• learned about tech communication tools for one on one, small group and large group situations
  • learned to match the tech tool to the appropriate function to make sure tht the message is conveyed effectively
  • make sure that the tool used does not hinder but enhance communication
  • may need to review all of the pros and cons of the differnt tech communication tools to see which one is approrpriate for your audience or student group
  • learned about the different tools that exist for differnet ways to commuicate through technology
  • assessing student comprehension during and at the end of the course or class (formative/summative) is vital
  • remember the importance of reflection to see if communication between teacher and student, student and teacher and student and student has been effective. If not, what were the challenges?
  • ask students for suggestions on how to improve and the teacher should also reflect on what they thought and how and what might be needed to make sure that communication is effective. 

This module talks about the various forms of communication.  It seems like they need to update the platforms mentioned.  Telephone and email are effective one-on-one communication tools, but for large group terms like "Conferences" and "Zoom" conference calls should be added.

The purpose of technological tools is to foster better communicatio, and the tools should be evaluated to see which tools work best for the situation.

It is important to review the types of tools that can be used in the classroom setting and to carefully choose based on what benefits the students, teacher, and the situation.  It is also important to get feedback from students to see what works and doesn't work. 

Due to COVID-19, I have utilized a free texting app so that students don't have my personal phone number. I use it to contact students who I see struggling. It has proven to be very effective and 7 out of the 9 students I reached out to responded within two days where email got no response.

It's important to identify the pros and cons of technology tools that you are considering using for your students.

Sign In to comment