Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Speech Generated Devices

I think many educators are unaware of the communication needs of some of our students. Technology has come a long way, and we could certainly students who could benefit from the use of speech generated devices. 

Social Networking

Social networking is all about building a community.

Communication

Good communication is needed to aid in the student's success.

Adult Learning

Adult Learners seem to learn best if they can relate the content to their personal experiences. 

Online Learning and Accommodations

It is important to understand the accommodation and special need for the student. 

Keys to Student Participation

With students who have very busy schedules and students who may or may not complete the assigned work that is part of the points counted for their grades, how do you encourage them to participate in the blogging?  What percent of students fully participate and what percent make an attempt?

Thanks for your insight.  I look forward to reading your experiences.

Addressing the Elephant in the Online Classroom: Artificial Intelligence Content Generators

I really would have liked to see an updated discussion about how to handle not only traditional forms of plagiarism, such as copying previously published work, but also advice on how best to respond to newer forms of academic dishonesty relating to the incursion of AI-generated content into the classroom. This is a new, but vitally important area for discussion and debate within the academic community as the technology advances almost daily at this point, an instructors will need to have resources and a plan for addressing the inevitable question of whether any of these new technologies should have a… >>>

International students

How do the color charts help international students who have ESL when asking certain questions during the introduction to best describe themselves?

What does distant learning mean to you?

What Distant learning to me is the act of taking a course online with a professor that maybe in another state where my lectures and assignments are posted, and discussion are posted for the purpose of interacting with other students. 

Communication

Good Morning

Social Interaction

I found all areas to be interesting and helpful. I liked the social interaction.

Relevance

I have found that students become more involved if you can show that it material is relevant to the student and their daily living or education. It reminds me of the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married." She is transported back to her high school days. She is in her seat in her Algebra class and painting her nails and not paying attention. The teacher gets her attention and the need to concentrate on Algebra. Peggy's response was "I know for a fact I will never use Algebra as an adult." As you can see Peggy did not get the subject… >>>

Spanish dominant student population.

What are some tips you can use to improve  your communication and online teaching to students that are Spanish dominant?

The un-engaged student

How can we better reach students who, under all circumstances, never seem to want to engage in online learning?  How do we appeal to the 'YouTube' and 'TicTok' generation that wants a faster, more entertaining way of getting information that deem as useful?

Would like to see more games in other languages

There are not many games for the Spanish speaking leaner.

Social Media and Interactive Apps to Ignite Engagement

I teach in the Early Childhood Department and have recently started encouraging students to think outside of the typical question and answer verbal responses by encouraging the use of social media and interactive apps for ticket out discussions. I would love suggestions from others using this format.

Best Teaching Strategy Question

I work in higher education and have a class of 46 students in a foundation of nursing theory class. The students vary in age from 19-35 and I can see differences in work ethic and in the ability of the older students to remain focused. What are some of your best strategies for keeping the entire class engaged?

Active learning

It is so important for students to feel comfortable and safe in their environment to share thoughts, questions, and ideas. 

Gaming and Simulation in the classroom: a help or a hinderance?

Gaming and Simulation can have a positive impact with regards to achieving specific learning objectives. Three learning outcomes focus on: cognitive, behavioral, and affective learning. The main barriers are Prep time, Poor fit for subject content, and lack of information. Over time these barriers should lessen as more options and information becomes available.

Incorporating prior knowledge (PK)

Do you have suggestions for the best way to gather data on PK (for online training, not for school based eLearning)? Have you tried incorporating it into trainings? If so, what worked best for you?