Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Internship programs provide practical experience for students while providing firms with well-educated temporary help. If carefully structured and well planned, these programs can also be an opportunity for management to train and evaluate prospects for permanent employment."

If done correctly and thoughtfully internships can teach the student many professional behaviors.

I will change my lookout on "grunt work" and advocate for students not to fall under this spell.

Interships are very good programs.  I remember my first job resulted from an intership; I learn so much and landed a job offer because I had on the job training.  I will encourage my students to take advantage of these types of opportunities to help develop their professional skills. 

The supervisor should be coaching the intern to bring them to their full potential. 

The intern should have an internship directly related to future work goals. 

Making sure the student is truely working as an employee to get the most of the experience to build career skills.

When coordinating with external organizations for student learning and experience, it is important to identify specific goals for achievement. Educational institutions must determine appropriateness and effectivess of the learning opportunities presented. My goal is to be proactive about providing usefull opportunities for both the student learner and demonstrate the benefits to the external organization.

Internships are essential to a student future success. I t is important that supervisors ensure they are providing guidance, coaching, and allowing the student to be responsible during their internship.

It is important for supervisors to inform students what is expected of them.

Having expectations for the workplaces and the interns will insure that the internship runs smoothly and that there is minimal confusion and more success.

I believe that internships can be a great stepping stone for students to "get their feet wet" so to speak.  For many students on the younger side they have not been exposed to the working world and this is a good way to show them the ins and outs all the way down to proper dress, starting with teaching them interviewing techniques.

Student internships help with soft skills, which helps them learn skills for the real world of work.

Comment on Michael Mitchell's post: I completely agree. Internship should facilitate time management skills and identify the various skills.

It's important to help the students develop their work skills

I've learned supervisors, should be on display for students to show how they should carry themselves. Students should participate in internships as they are great opportunities for learning what the workforce is like.

Developing professional behaviors is very important and will assist the intern in acquiring needed opportunities.

Developing professional behaviors is very important and will assist the intern in acquiring needed opportunities.

Comment on Cynthia Terrell's post: Right, also displaying those behaviors allows for a real model for the students.

Internship experiences help the intern to develop professional behaviors.

One of the most important learning aspect in internship is behavior modification. Be able to learn the attitude and behavior in dealing with various situations.

Sign In to comment