Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students can maximize the effectiveness of internships by taking proactive steps and being intentional about their learning and growth during the internship. This can be done by setting clear goals, being proactive, asking questions, seeking feedback, and taking notes.

Having clear roles in an internship can help develop professional behaviors between the instructor and student. 

On the job training benefits both the employer and the intern, building viable skills that may be useful in a permanent position in the future.

Students should treat Externship as "The longest interview", this way they can get hired after externship

Internships allow students to develop their professional behaviors and get to know a companies culture. For the company, internships give decision makers an opportunity to experience a student's skills and behaviors for the purposes of potential job offers or to see if someone will fit into a team.

Acquiring skills related to professionalism is always a plus for your career and in life.

Internships offer the student and "employer" an opportunity to try before they hire. Often students are offered positions from a successful internship- I know I was. 

Internships are great way to increase job skills as long as the are relevant to the students chosen career path.

The ideal internship is at least 10-12 weeks long so that kids can become a part of the work-place culture. 

I spent more than 20 years assigning and supervising Nurse Interns. I find the program is win-win for student, precptor, and organization. The student learns the accountability required to be a professional, Learns first hand the imporatnace of integrating knowledge, skills, and values in the clinical setting. The preceptor enjoys "showing off" their knowledge, value of team work, and appreciation of belonging to an organization  The Internship programs can also be an opportunity for management to train and evaluate prospects for permanent employment.

I want to better identify my expectations, perhaps in a letter to all on-site supervisors.

Internships offer the best opportunity for students to learn real life work experiences and a greater understanding to what is required from the workforce.

Sign In to comment