Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging students in a practical situations and developing their behavior and reactions.

A good internship lasts 10-12 weeks to give the student a good idea what it's really like to work in that area.

Internships that match the educational experience enhance the graduates ease into the workforce by exposing them to the corporate world of:  meetings, professional dress, time management, the typical work day and work week schedule...in other words the reality of how  their education will be implemented.

I really embrace the stated key objective " help student's develop professional behaviors". This is very important in advancing one's career and being viewed as  a professional in the work environment.

There is definitely a difference between having an intern, where they just do busy tasks; and having an intern that is brought in and is a part of the team-respected/taught/modeled for/etc. The intern host has a responsibility to the intern to provide them with a rewarding experience, one in which the student has takeaways and  is allowed to  grow.  The intern has a responsibility to the site and host to be professional, prompt, and part of the team as well.  This partnership needs to be explicitly laid out from the beginning, in order for all parties to benefit from an internship program.

Internships are a great experience for students that will give them the confidence they need for their skills

Introducing new nurses to the profession by a supportive organization can lead to nurse betterretainment.

very useful at the clinical sites

yes

Internship includes being immersed in the culture of the orgnaization.

Intership supervisors are instrumental in the students'/interns' success.

The students that fall under the Intership program, need to have some goals and accountability. This will prepare them for a permanent position in the workforce.

Finding appropriate internships offer students a meaningful and valuable experience that can propel students into the world of work and allow students to gain workforce readiness and soft skills in order to be sucessful in future occupations. 

I saw someone above who gave a great analogy of the supervisors are like COACHES.....

I agree. set the way based on what you teach through leadership and demonstrations.

I believe the on-site supervisor plays a pivotal role in whether the student has a successful internship experience. It is up to the supervisor to move the student along to the differenct roles and experiences.

There is a significant responsibility associated with being an internship supervisor. It is important that the supervisor introduces the intern to the employees of the workplace to help the intern student develop better skills working in the environment of employees. The supervisors themselves need to be trained to provide better guidance to the interns.

It is essential for projects or tasks assigned to interns to be relevant, challenging and meaningful for students.  If projects given are "grunt work", students will no longer be engaged, and may opt to avoid the career path that ordinarily would have been a good fit for them.  Conversely. students who find the work to be "easy" may choose a career based on that when it is not appropriate for them.

I would like to seek more opportunities for internships for my students. Most students who participate in this type of experience come back more motivated to pursue their education and training skills. 

The role of the supervisor of a student participating in an internship is an integral part of  successful program outcomes. Students need a supervisor who has steps to development.

Internships should have set goals in writing so all parties know what is expected of them.

Daily we strive to get our students to have a glimpse into the world coming thier direction. Coaching and stories of personal experience can aid a student in the do s and dont s . of the field they are treading into. 

Sign In to comment