Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The more connections and relationships a student has at an institution, the more likely they are to graduate.

Orientation should be fun, but not corny!

I like the idea of a progressive orientation. I feel like the programmatic portion is too long and heavy

Incorporate games to add fun to orientation, team based activities to build sense of belonging; incorporate  hunt around campus to increase their knowledge of where departments are located and offer prizes to the winning teams.

It is important to have a detailed plan and goal for student orientation. Make it fun, clear, and entertaining. 

I love the idea of a progressive orientation, students get bored just being talked at for hours, so having stations for each department will help keep them engaged!

With my school's welcome week for the next term coming up, I think there is a lot of valuable info in this course that I could bring to my campus. 

Building credibility, increasing value, and building departmental connections are important components to an effective orientation.

Building credibility is very important for schools to grow and for students to believe that they have made a good choice.  Orientations should be well planned out and they should not be boring. 

Make orientation fun and interactive, give them a chance to bond with other students. Some familiar faces can be around. Discuss the success of other students who graduated.

Students with more connections and relationships at their institution are more likely to graduate successfully. Therefore, when designing orientation programs, it is essential to consider the student's perspective. While policies and procedures are necessary from the institution's point of view, they are lower on the student's list of priorities. Therefore, it is recommended that current and alumni students be asked for feedback on previous orientations to improve the program and/or provide testimonials. 

Sign In to comment