Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This part makes me think that in this world filled with automated services, education should not be one, and helping student or guiding them for that matter seams to be the only way to have SOME success in retention. However, help to just follow a work protocol will not be effective at all. Care is felt and doing the job but just following protocols also is felt and it feels detached. 

Help the students feel comfortable by having them meet with current students (peers) to help ease with the transition

Make sure that all information given to students are as accurate as possible so they can succeed in the best way.

I learnt that the institution must always seek to give value to it's students so that they can finish their program which means the students' needs must always be our first priority.

Very informative. Building Institututional credibility is crucial, and it's also important to make sure our students feel valued.

I took away valuable information to help with maintaining retention, the main one is allowing sufficient time to successfully finish all course components. 

The content so far in my mind reminds me of the following important sometimes overlooked key points; 

In rare cases, adult students may enroll to fulfill social needs.

Traditional students are also enrolling because of a defined need.

Because the vast majority of students are enrolling to alleviate their immediate problem, It is important to remember this as you develop your orientation program.

The importance of the value equation.

Always important the remember that it should be guaranteed that students have qualified and prepared faculty. 

We need to ensure the students are able to see the value in what they are gaining to ensure they want to continue coming back to class for each session. We need to make sure the instructors are knowledgeable and can build that trusting rapport.

I like this course and how it emphasizes that students expectations are higher than we often think. There are many areas where institutions can add value to the student educational experience and this course highlights them well.

another way to look at what students perceive. 

I think it makes sense that students want to feel like they are getting their money/times worth from their schools. One of the most frequent phrases I hear from students who have complaints is "im paying all this money and...."

The key to any effective student participation is to have someone who is actively involved in running this program.

Students are very smart shoppers when it comes to educations. When attending private schools the expect a good service from everyone in the college. The experience they receive in admissions should be the same with everyone on campus. It is a great idea to think as a student. 

I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I've learned so far. I did not consider that many students start school/college because of instability in their personal lives. That definitely helps me to look at things (orientation and first week activities) from a different perspective.

Let the student know faculty is always available to help smooth the transition to school for them. Have former students mentor them when possible or troubleshoot any issues, maybe the same ones they had.

Let the student know faculty is always available to help smooth the transition to school for them. Have former students mentor them when possible or troubleshoot any issues, maybe the same ones they had.

Starting at a new school can be a daunting experience for students. They often worry about more challenging coursework and the fear of failing in a new environment. Besides academic concerns, students also need help fitting in with their classmates. Therefore, addressing the social aspect is as important as focusing on academic performance.

Apart from these factors, students also consider the cost of enrolling, including tuition fees, books, time, and opportunities. This includes the time they need to give up for family, friends, and other activities.

It is also essential to acknowledge that a student's perception plays a crucial role in determining their level of satisfaction.

This section really highlights the importance on understanding the VALUE in the first week, 'starting' process and student expectations; in a manner that facilitates a comfortable, confident start and retained student. 

Sign In to comment