Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

For me the biggest takeaway from this lesson was value of education needs to be geater than the cost. 

Keep in touch with students. 

Make the Value Equation positive for the students

It's really important to see from a student's perspective, in order to cater to their needs accordingly. 

I have learned that to manage processes and student care to match student expectations, an institution needs to regularly evaluate and understand how students perceive the institution. Students must be cared for and provided an experience where they feel the value is greater than the cost.

I am happy to report our school seems to be addressing many of the suggested ideas that are presented in the student expectations rsection.

The content of this course is pretty good. Retention is really important if any college want to have sucess and a good reputation. Students are always the first priority.

I learned quite a bit from this section.  I think that the ability to put yourselves in the students shoes to understand their needs and where they are coming from is excellently prestented.  I really enjoyed the part that addresses the potential fears students may have and how to help them feel comfortable with peer mentoring etc.  To be able to provide stability for students and foster an enviroment where they are learning and feel like the information is relevant is so vital, and they did a great job highlighting that.

Students are much more consumer friendly than in years past.

I learned alot from this course. It is always important to consider the regulations on a day to day basis while also valuing student's and looking at it through their eyes.

Institution should be available to student at reasonable times. 

Retention depends on us meeting or exceeding student expectations. If we don't know what these expectations are, we can't very well address them. In this process, we need the ensure that our policies, procedures and processes are developed and examined from a student's perspective, as they are the customers being served. 

I forget that there are many reasons to come to school. 

you have to put yourself in the students shoes to really know where they are coming from

Something I found helpful in this module was the mention of peer mentors during orientation and the students' first year. I intend to bring this information to the attention of my director in hopes of including our peer tutors as part of orientation. 

Recognizing that many adult learners may have fears in the beginning of their education, and help them transition as smoothly as possible to their role as a student.

To make the finance department and other departments more accessable when students are at school especially the first week or two of class. Having current students at orientation is also a good idea. New students will probably have a better comfort level after speaking with a current student.  

I never considered all the ways students weigh the value to cost in deciding to stay in school. Lots of great information here! 

Implement and utilize student/mentor relationships. 

To retain students the school and all its staff must have 100% buy in commitment to the job at hand. Students don't magically stay in school. The fears they have are real and staff and faculty must be aware of what takes place within a new student starting. Being committed and taking ownership for all of us in the school industry is key to keeping students enrolled in school. Talk is cheap, best practices must be implemented on a daily basis without fail to ensure as many students stay in school and who feel they're getting their money's worth.

The value always needs to be higher than the cost associated with staying in school. Always look at the BIG picture and what the outcome of staying in will do for you in the end!

Sign In to comment