Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Allow students to have a voice, opportunites to mentor other students, and show off the areas in which they excel. This allows them to know they are valued. 

value must always exceed cost and finding out a students motivation provides a Rep with the tool they need to help create value.

Went you buy something like a class you need to have some value from it that exceeds the price you pay for it. If I take a class where the teacher is knowledgeable and excited about the topic , I may see value in that class. I always try to express my enthusiasm for being a nurse because I want students to feel that enthusiasm. I want them to be nurses not so they will have a job or make money. I want them to truly love the profession as I do. If the students obtain that love for b eing a nurse then they will want to learn.

I learned a lot about retention because its all about creating a culture of rention and making sure that you foster that growth when it goes to providing it for the students. 

Students expectations of us are just as high as ours are of them. Having prepared educators, retention, job placement assistance and staff hours of operation for both day and evening classes. Reassuring them that we are just as invested in them start to finish!

There are different levels of expectations the students have for their prospective institution, classroom experience, and their fellow classmates. As an institution and faculty/staff member, it is our job to ensure that we do our best to meet/exceed all of these expectations to the best of our ability. By meeting/exceeding their expectations, this will help improve retention efforts and make our students feel that our institution is student-focused, reliable, and stable.

The stududent experince has to be a hollistic intentional experinece, focusing on the what the students needs are and how do we faciltate that while they are acheiving their academic endavors.

Great reminder to look at things from the student's persective.

Implementing my current students more and use them as a resource, this may empower both incoming and current student.

Getting an education is a means to an end in that students want to change their standard of living and enjoy their work day more by doing something that is challenging and brings them joy. I was so happy to read the recommendation NOT to use the words 'job placement." The words "job search assistance' are so much more appropriate. Also, it is extremely important to see throught he eyes of a student to improve customer service.

Making the transition from admissions to the classroom is important. New students need to be comfortable and at ease.

Ensuring that the pros outweight the cons for what students will need to sacrifice in exchange for a quality education will keep retention numbers in satisfactory standing.

It would integrate an induction and mentoring service for all newly admitted students to the Campus. Through the Academic Counselor, develop a series of workshops to support students. 

Student Expectations

What have I learned from this module?

1. Students enroll for a variety of reasons.
  2. Students often don’t know what to ask or even expect when enrolling.
  3. Students have high expectations

How do I intend to apply it?

1. Let Students   know what resources are available to them and how to access them. Handouts, flyers, emails etc. could be used.
  2. Student resources need to be up to date. Perform regular checks, get feedback from employers as to latest trends and hiring needs.

I am so glad to have read this. As instructors, we need to offer stability that is missing in their lives. 

Retention = Perceived Value/Cost! There are simple processes and policies we can implement to improve the student experience and increase retention

Giving students prompt repsonses is great customer service. 

There are various reasons why students decide to go to school and we need to make it worth it for them by offering the best customer service and top notch education. We are helping them further themselves and their career. We need to be as welcoming and helpful as possible to ensure that their transition into higher education is smooth and easy as possible.

When I was a student, I had the "traditional" higher education experience of a 4-year university and I do recall that helpfulness and excellent service did not seem to be among the top priorities of the institution. Now that I work at a private career college, I understand the difference - helpfulness and excellent service really are top priorities here!

I learned that it is important to a make sure the campus supports all the needs of the students. Having a schedule that fits around the students classes/home life is important and builds credibility.

Sign In to comment