1. Pre-work
2. Greeting
3. Connecting
4. Discussing and Listening
5. Reflecting and Creating Options
6. Contracting
7. Following up
8.Launching
 Utilizing these 8 steps will assist not only the student but the instructor as well. the important part of the 8 steps is building trust with the student and assisting student in development 

Take time to understand students and give them a safe space to express how they feel.

The institution must have a clear plan to follow and with those responsible, so that the student can resort to it when necessary or the person who detects any alert can direct the student to seek this help.

It is important to remember that students are viewing a conversation or event through their own paradigm, which maybe completely different than yours. You have to try and have a conversation to understand their paradigm and then try to help them reframe the event in their mind. I will use the eight stages when helping my students work through issues. 

This lesson provided a nice framework for helping students work through problems. 

we can make a difference if we are vigilent watching for signs

I think it makes sense to help students imagine/attain the successful future they wanted for themselves when they enrolled in classes. After all, if it is the belief that they can no longer achieve this future that drives them to drop out. 

The most successful retention efforts are build on trust.

It is very important to understand what students may be dealing with to understand how they behave. If student trust school administrators they will feel comfortable to share what they feel. If they choose to seek help, we need to be ready to Listen! When this happens, we need to be ready to take the 8 necessary steps - Pre-work, Greeting, Connecting, Discussing and Listening, Reflecting and creating options, Contracting, Follow up and launching. 

If  we provide adequate assistance to the students, they could learn to overcome obstacles and build problem-solving strategies. It will be valuable as in their personal as and professional life.

Using a step-by-step process to communicate and show the student that you care is a important way to gain trust.

Follow up is key to continue the positive process.

The 8 stages of problem solving are dynamic, however, all of the stages are based on TRUST between all parties.

So I now have a plan on how to intervene and support a student, but what if my superiors and coworkers don't? How do students react when they only feel supported or invested in by a small number of staff and faculty? Is there a way to remedy this inconsistency? 

Understanding what ways to gather informationa ndunderstand what the students needs are will help in preventing students from getting to the point of making poor decisions. 

Prepare to listen. Detach yourself from the problem so you can help the individual sort out the issues on their own. Offer guidance, not answers.

Sign In to comment