Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really enjoyed the grid on listening, reflecting and asking a new question.  Such an important tool to learn to listen and not speak.

The importance of listening and going through the eight stages. Patience

Important tool to build with students TRUST. 

Building trust and rapport is important to student retention. It is also important to communicate, listen and follow up.

In the Dynamics of Intervention I learned two ways to intervene. The surveying way and the vertical approach. I see the necesity for both as you want to find the initial way into learning about the problem; survfey then vertically probe. That way you can get to the heart of the problem.

Reiterate what the student has shared - this should initiate more conversation with the student.

The best way to help with intervention is to listen and to ask questions when you see a student might be struggling.

Being able to recognize that a student needs help early is very instrumentatl to bew able to help that student and keep them in class.

Let students know they are the priority, by reassuring them.

You need simple, clearly stated policies and procedures that staff and faculty can use to refer students for service.

When working on an issue with a student, the process should go through eight distinct stages.

1. Pre-work

2. Greeting

3. Connecting

4. Discussing and Listening

5. Reflecting and Creating Options

6. Contracting

7. Following up

8. Launching

Supporting students to express their problems, providing a safe and trusting environment, and allowing them to identify the problem and possible solutions are important in retention efforts.

Active listening is very important. There are several stages to working with students, don't just use a "one style meets all" approach

Interventions, coaching, GPA updates, ect. are all crucial to ensure that the studet understands where they are, where they need to be, and their strengths & weaknesses. This way we can set them up for sucess.

Knowing the eight stages will help with your success!

While reading, I noticed that invention is important to maintain a student's academic and personal success. 

Trust is the most important thing we can give to students who are coming to us for assistance!

It is not your responsibility to solve the students problem, but rather guide them to find their own solutions. I think this helps the student build grit and problem solving skills.

Creating a goo and healthy relationship with a student is very important and they must feel a sense of belonging and that they're being listen to. It's very important to ask them questions and to allow them to express themselves. Feedback is also very vital, it gives students a feeling of being valued instead of being ignored.

We need to ask questions from our students. Then we have to listen. When a student makes an attempt to open up to us, we Must be there to listen.

Sign In to comment