Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As the bottom line said, trust is everything in retension. The more confrontational you when you are talking to the students, the worst its going to be, so its better to be more straight foward and kind and naturing to them. 

Interventions are important. The faculty member should set realistic boundaries when assisting students who are struggling.

I appreciate the 8 step process for meeting with students. It's important to prepare in advance when you can. I also like the focus on listening to the student. That is so critical before trying to help solve their problem.

It is important to remain neutral and not judge the student if your intervention strategies are going to be well received.

This section highlights the importance of retention by problem-solving. Before problem-solving is helping the student realize that they can create a plan and help them stray away from dependecy. If they depend on quitting they lose hope and we become what we think right? 

I appreciated the eight stages of assisting students. These stages are a great training tool for staff and faculty who are not trained as advisors, success coaches, or counselors. Also, all personnel need to know what services are available to students and who provides those services.

Reaching out to students struggling in class on exams or those who are quiet may help identify a need. Being present and available to students for support and tutoring can also help decrease the retention issues. 

Staff must have the correct orientation to be able to refer the student to the correct department. 

Changing the paradigm of an event can lead to new feelings and effective behaviors.

What have I learned from this module?

1. Timing is very important for students.  Quick action is always best practices.
  2. Retention is best when faculty and staff know how to handle student situations/concerns.
  3. At risk students need more attention

How do I intend to apply it?

1. Try to identify the at risk students before it is obvious, Engage with student to see their comfort level.
  2. Have resources available for at risk students.

There are multiple ways to interact with a student. We have to recognize when they are in need, even if they do not communicate this need to us. 

After identifyig a students potential stressor it is equally inportant to intervene using the the 8 stages of intervention process.

Remembering that we can offer support and guidance in finding a solution and using the 8 ssteps or stages of the intervention process is very helpful while acknowledging that the responsability of solutioning the problem relies in the student.

Although students may be frustrated or feel negative about an academic situation, we can help students by showing a different perspective of the sitaution/ reframing the issue, along with validating their initial thoughts and feelings. 

What I learned from this chapter is: We as Teachers need to be good listeners, problem solvers, care for students, help students when the have a challenging time in their lives. Be sensitive and caring.

The most important aspect of the dynamics of intervention is to build trust.  Trust is earned by meeting expectations and providing satisfaction.  Students must feel that we are committed to the student.  

I learned that it is important to make sure that responsibility for the problem remains with the student and that my role remains one of support. It is not my job to solve the problem but, rather, be a listening ear and the voice of encouragement for the student. 

The scenerio with the parent driving in the car and cutting over and my reaction was a good thought process on our intial reaction and then our reaction once we knew all the facts.  This to me is key in understanding the facts as you work with a student so you can make a more informed decision or provided better services more suited to their needs.

Teach your students that they are valuable and they are worth your time. Be available to your students and know resources on how to point your students in the right direct. Be an encourager and a good listener, for you never know what your student is going through if you do not take the time to listen.

The difference between the Survey Aproach and the Probiing approach is the first changes the aspect by asking a new question, while the second asks a question about the previoius answer.  The one thing that I would like to add is the web-based intervention system for students to use who may be uncomfortable reaching out for help in person.  

Listening and asking key questions will help to identify and validate the students struggles and line a path to overcome challenges

Sign In to comment