Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Dynamics of Intervention | Origin: RT101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Improving Retention through Timely Intervention --> The Dynamics of Intervention

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Reasure students they are important.  As a Instructure making sure all students partispate and treat all students as equal.

Educational equity is term equity means accommodating and meeting the specific needs of specific individuals. This means ensuring that everyone’s learning needs are met. Educational equity is based on the principles of fairness in distributing resources, opportunities, treatment, and success for every student

I have learned that an intervention could be very crucial in a student's academic success. Simply explaining their circumstances to another person, could help them identify the root of their problems. Although interventions are very important, it is also very sensitive which is why it is very helpful to use the 8 stages of Intervention Model. The student will not open up unless they feel supported. 

I learned the importance of not only having resources and support services in place but ensuring that everyone in the organization is aware of what is available and can refer a student to support.  Having a way for students to get help or even just talk about what challenges they are facing helps them feel as though the problems are more manageable and shows faculty and staff care. I also learned ways to make the student feel comfortable and trusting to open up about their issues and how to effectively use the 8 stages of intervention model.

Form your own feeling about the student and don't judge by what others have told you.

I learned when working through an issue with a student, the process should go through 8 distinct stages. Pre-work, Greeting, Connecting, Discussing and Listening, Refelcting and creating options, contracting, follow up and launching. 

Connecting with students and understanding what is important to them, reviewing possibilities, reflecting on what goals and listening to your students is so valuable. Greeting students at beginning of class, even when remote (ZOOM) is important.

Being able to provide resources and build a connection with students will be instrumental in maintaining retention and providing student services.

showing that you are listening, being able to give some resources or ideas of what will help them is a big part of helping them solve a proboem but also showing them you care about them as a person not just a student

How a person feels is how a person behaves.  We must be sensitive citizens to our students to drive a trust based relationship with them

Listening to the student and building trust with them is key. We need to understand how to ask probing questions so that we can understand how we can help them and what resources they need. 

Creating an environment of trust, and the connection is important without taking on the responsibility of the student's issue is important.

I learned that if you see any issue with a student sit with the student and listen to them and then ask questions related to the their issues to get to know them better and build trust to solve their issues  

all students are important and can use our time in different ways

Students may be dealing with alot of stressors and paying close anough attention to a student's behavior and speaking with them in a trusting, comforting manner can help you help them overcome what is troubling them. 

most successful retention efforts are built on trust

Ask a question and listen.

ask questions

There are 8 stages when working with a student experiencing a problem. Let them have an opportunity to express concerns. 

Sign In to comment