Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timothy,

Great points! The enthusiasm is just as important as appearance.

George,

You are correct in that you need to make a connection with students at some point. However, if you do not make a positive first impression, it will be more difficult to make that connection.

Jeffrey,

Meeting them at the door or outside the class with a greeting reinforces the fact that you will be there to help. Great Job!

I agree first impressions are made the first day of class sometimes at the door in the hall to welcome them in In my eyes first impressions can make or break the relationship or bonding process that becomes so important the first day of class taking the time to know them where their from and how they act can become so important aned set the tone for the class setting

Eric,

Great Post. Sometimes first impressions are made even before the first day of class. Students may know who you are and see your actions before they even have you in class.

Smile, be friendly and let them know I am here to help.

I make a point of attending orientation, as much as possible, and learn all new students names. Then when they come to class for the first time I can greet them by name and bring up something I learned about them at orientation. I've had students say that it makes them feel as if our school really cares about them. By the way, I used HABE in a lecture yesterday and it was a huge success!!

Dan,

This is a great way to show students that you care and they are not just a number or a body in your class. To know their name when they enter the classroom on the first day is excellent. It makes a great first impression and allows students to make a connection the first day of class.

Smiling, being positive, calling them by name, looking at them directly and listening.

One way is to have some information about the student before meeting them; ask the admissions for their files or have admissions introduce the new students to the instructors so the instructor quickly can engage the student on their own terms and having background to them will provide a direct connection with the student. Of course smiling and listening first.

Customer service is my number one priority. From being polite and courteous, to knowing the the customer's wants and needs, setting examples to our students ensures future excellence in customer relations.

Be in class and waiting with a smile and great students at they enter every day.

The moment I meet my students, I start to make an excellent first impression. It could be during orientation or the first day of the module. As time goes by, I know that my students will never forget the first time I met them. I know because I always had a chance to ask former students what they thought of me and what I was teaching the first time we met...

I believe first impressions are very important. I try to teach/lead by example. I arrive early to class, I am always dressed professionally and I am ready to begin class at the appropriate time.
For the new student-I always introduce myself to them, shake their hand, and ask them to share why they chose my program for their studies. I then discuss all the employment possibilities in THEIR chosen field. This gets them excited to get started in school and opens them up to setting goals for their future.

I believe I can make a first impression with my students by presenting a positive attitude and an encouraging spirit. My job entails me interacting with all of the students from the first day of orientation until they complete their training programs. I like to smile and greet them in hopes that they feel welcome and feel like they are important to us. To me, all of this can be done within 2 to 5 seconds.

I have had to learn this the hard way. I was not born a naturally outgoing person but have discovered the skill can be learned. As a new Director of Education (DOE) several years ago I received feedback on a student survey that said: "Tell the DOE to look up, smile and say "Hi!" when he is walking down the hall!" Ouch - that hurt! I have tried hard since then to be proactive, to be the first to greet students, to get up from my desk and meet students touring the campus, to use first names whenever possible, to inquire about personal issues when appropriate, to share a laugh or a story, to be liberal with words of praise or encouragement. It's amazing how others brighten when you make the first move, especially when it is a positive one!

I allways make sure and meet each student at the door with a smile and a good morning or how are things going for you.

I believe the best first impression you can make is a smile and of course to say hello. I know if someone smiles at me I want to smile back. I would not want to be known as the person who looks miserable and unhappy all the time.

Christina,

Thank you for this post. Beyond a pleasant smile and kind hello, what do you do during the first few class meetings to ensure that your students have a favorable first impression of your course and your college?

To set the tone for the day a good first impression needs to be made every day, not just the first time you meet your class.

Sign In to comment