Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I remember during the 70s there was a professor at USC named, Leo Buscalia. He was known as "Dr Hug." He loved to hug his students and he told some great stories. He ended up writing a book on how to motivate students, showed up on NPR giving lectures, and became nationally known. This can be intimidating for some of us, but for him it worked so well he became famous.

I think this is a key point. You have to be there first, and welcome them into the classroom, or the online chat. I have seen so many that arrive late, like the star appearing after the audience is seated. This is not the way to make students feel welcome and cared about I don't think.

I like your approach, Mark. I think we could also say that we are proud of them for having the courage to continue their education. There are a lot of mental barriers to doing this, and they probably have some fears coming in.

You know, LaToya, you made me think of something. This first impression lesson occurs each time we meet students, with every class, not just the first class meeting. We need to remember to make a good first impression everytime. And following up with a question from the last time you saw them or spoke with them is a great point.

We great the student the first day on campus making sure that we are in proffessional atire and presenting ourselves in a proffessional manor. We have the opportunity to speak to each incoming class and let them know what our committment to them is going to be and set goals at that time. We feel this first meeting sets the tone for the entire time the student is on campus.

Thanks, Alvin. It is important that we make a great first impression. We focus a lot on the students' first few days, which is great. We need to remember that every day is a chance to make a new first impression for that student that day. We never know when something as simple as a kind "hello" will make a difference for a student.

I am a utilizer of the "first impression". If I see someone approaching me, I smile and say hello regardsless if they are out of reach or distance. When a student or parent speaks to me, they know that I am friendly and that they can relax and open up to me.

Regards,

Tirrell

First impressions can often start before you ever meet a student in your class. Students talk about instructors - your reputation precedes you. I believe in making a good first impression and continue to impress the students throughout the course.

You're right, Rich. Unless they are brand new students, your students probably already have formed an impression of you based on the feedback they received from other students. I encourage my faculty to be out and about during breaks to start to build relationships with students they may have at a future date.

Some schools with cohort-based programs make sure the faculty membrs get a chance to meet with the students they will have in an upcoming term well before that term starts. Some have faculty members swap classes for an hour. Others set up an informal social "meet and greet" event. These types of things can really help.

On the first day I stand at hte door and greet each student and I make sure they balong to my class I ask how are you today and are you ready to learn

It is important to remember that we have a chance to make a new "first impression" each day we meet with students. The activities a teacher sbefore class and just as class begins can go a long way in shaping attitudes for the day.

What are some of the things you like to do to grab students' attention just as class begins?

Pay attention to student concerns, acknowledge and show them respect.

I always greet my students st the door. I usually give the first few minutes of class to see how everybodies doing. Usually someone has an interesting story to tell from the weekend or the night before. Sometimes I'll star off with a funny story just to break the ice and put the room in a relazed mood.

Great approach! We have to realize that every class meeting is a chance to make a new first impression. Sometimes a few minutes off topic at the beginning of the class can set students in a great frame of mind during the class.

I will shake hand with individuals, call them by their name with the smiling face (I normally memorize students' names in advance whenever I have new ones).

Smile, greet them warmly, look them directly in the eyes, use their name be personable.

Thanks, Jeff. Little things like using students' names are vitally important when building a sense of community in a classroom.

I arrive at class at least 10-15 minutes early and make myself available to students. I also greet each one as they enter the room. Since I know all their names, using first names and occasionally asking something caring about them and/or their life, it really connects with my students. I also stay after class and provide guidance to my students as needed.

Rita,

This is a great example of building relationships with students through simply being there for them. Please keep up these practices as they are definitely the right things to do.

I smile and welcome them to class at least for the first part of the term. I usually know my student by their first name at the second class meeting and use it often when I pose questions in the class period.

Sign In to comment