Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tiffany,

This is a great start. What things do you do once the lesson starts to ensure those good feelings continue?

Questions in the Introduction Forum like:

Q1 - What is your full name and by what name do you prefer the class to use in class discussions?

Q2 – Where do you live (City and State) and what time zone are you in?

Q3 - What is the name of the company for which you work?

Q4 - What is your job title and how long have you worked in this field?

Q5 - What do you like the most about the work you do?

Q6 - What certifications are you planning on obtaining?

Q7 - What are your plans after you finish school?

Q8 - What would you like to learn from this class and what can the class do to help you accomplish your goals?

Q9 - What graduate degree are you going to obtain and how long before you finish your degree?

Q10 - What is your favorite book and why?

Thank you, Eric. Others may find this quite helpful.

Since I am an online instructor and do not see my students in person it is a little more difficult. I have to use thoughtful words and phrases to introduce myself to the students. I often will respond to their email questions and also add "How are you today?" to my answers. I try to give the encouragement constantly especially to those students who email me that they are having personal problems or other issues preventing them from doing well in class. I always try to encourage them and uplift them to stay in class and move forward.

The first impression is the most critical. Eye contact, pleasant and caring attitude and that "hello" in the first meeting can be crucial. I believe that if you project your willingness to help the student, your love for the subject and your positive attitude that will make a good impression.

Thank you, Linda. It can be a challenge to establish that one is a caring person who sees students as important individuals when teaching an online class. It is not as easy as it is in a classroom situation where a glance or a smile can do the trick.

You are doing this well by taking the time to intentionally use thoughtful words and phrases. Keep up the excellent teaching.

Thanks, Linda.

I think it is important to keep in mind that we get to make a new first impression at the beginning of every class period. That is why it is so important to plan a super introductory activity for each class period.

Always greet and acknowledge everyone, not just students, with a smile and a good morning, hello, etc.

Thanks, Maureen.

It is important to remember that we get to make a new "first impression" each day. The daily smile and "good morning" are great ways to start.

First and foremost, SMILE! :) And smile with you eyes also. I always introduce myself by my first name. This helps to break the ice.

I do not have the opportunity to SMILE at the student since I teach online, but I let them hear it. I encourage them to call anytime and I use positive language when writing even in difficult situations.

Great point, Mary. Teaching efectively online requires a communication skill set that needs to be well-developed. We need to intentionally make sure our students know we are glad they are in our class and that we are "smiling" at them.

I believe a better first impression can be made by being friendly, outgoing and SMILE. People like to be noticed, being spoken to and feeling that they matter. I think this is even more important for those who are a little shy and timid. Many times, they seem as though they don't "deserve" to be acknowledged. I want to change that perception.

Welcome them to the class with excitement. If students feel that the instructor is excited to have them there, they will more likely feel that the class is going to be successfull.

I think that you need to look the person in the eyes and make that connection, smile and ask how they are doing, but don't walk away, stay and listen to what they have to say. Be genuine, people know when you are just skating by, but not really interested.

I always greet them with a smile, look straight to their eyes, and always talk to them on a sweet friendly tone of voice.

One way to form a good first impression is to walk the talk and exude confidence (self) and competence. That means to stand tall, smile, greet students as they come in, have a neat classroom and be prepared for the delivery of course content. When I say be prepared I mean to pace the class where there is amply “instruction” but also time for questions and answers and student discussion. The delivery will set the tone for the how the students feel about getting to your classroom during subsequent classes. They will look forward to the experience or think of it as having to take the medicine. I like the point in the material presented about putting off administrative details until after the first 10 minutes or so of class so that students can really experience YOU during that time. I also think that student involvement in the class will prevent that 80 percent or so of the class where they tune out (to a lecture or film for example.) I also have found that panel discussions of student and instructor with the class on the assignment for the session to be motivating. I ask for “prepared” students initially (volunteers) but then go more for a selection method as the students know what to expect. The discussion would be for 10 or maybe 15 minutes of the class. The last 10 minutes of class should be a summary, a look ahead and administrative tasks not yet completed. I also hand out materials (graded assignments and so forth) at the very end of class to avoid focus on that during the class. First impressions equal the first “take” of the instructor and that first class or session.

I think that they should feel our excitement as well. I teach online as well, fortunately in "voice" mode which makes it better.....

The "First Impression" is so critical---I feel we live in a world that only gives us ao much time to accomplish "many things" including this "First Impression". Many of the students that we instruct want immediate gratification--so if you are always smiling and talking to them , they do remember those experiences. If you have a bad day, you cannot bring it to the classroom--my medical background has taught me to leave my problems at home when I go to work as I have many problems there to deal with which follows through in vocational teaching. You have to remember that each one is a person who needs your concern to accomplish what is needed to succeed. Its a continual process and some do take more effort!!!

Well said, Anne.

I like to think about the "first impression" when I plan lessons and interact with my students. i want them to feel good when they come to me class and I want the first theing we do to set the mood for the day. I try to make a good "first impression" at the start of each class period.

Sign In to comment