Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael,

This is very true. My first thought in response to your post was that we must be on our game everyday, but the type of first impressions you are talking about is through another person. This makes our first impression (first time we meet a student) even more important, because students already have a preconcived impression.

A smile and professional look makes for a good first impression.

Smile, be genuine, and listen.

I always try to give them the impression that Iam not a lot different then them-- I went thru the same things that they are going thru now when I went to shcool - so a little positive reinforcement in this area seems to go a long way.

Over the course of my three week time with a given group of students, I try to eventually have a minute or two in private with each of them. I feel a "general-address" hello or welome to be too impersonal. Granted, the 1st impression has already passed for the majority but the personal interaction without the backdrop of the rest of the class makes for a more profound (and hopefully) positive connection.

I want to impreess on them that I am a serious person that is going to hold them to high standards and make them work hard and that the reward they will receive is education.

Stan,

This is very true, however body language, voice tones, and a lot of other things will also give a first impression. Students can easily see through anything that may be fake.

Greeting your students every day with a smile, and an upbeat attitude can go a long way with them. They can be easily intimidated. If they have a problem that you can help them through, do so, or refer them to someone who can help them.

Be inteactive with the class. Include yourself with there converations so you can curve the negative towards the positive.

On the first day of each class I greet my students at the door with a smile and welcome them to my class. I alsolook out for students that appear lost so that I can direct them to there classes.

The best way I've found to break the ice with first impressions is to open the conversation with my past experiences. This lets the students know that we have been where they are going. This give them the confidence they can ask any question that comes to there mind and they are assurured we can answer them correctly.

Philip,

A smile can go a long way and provide a comfortable (instead of intimidating) atmosphere.

Ronald,

Interaction with the class is very important, not only during class but during breaks as well. You can learn alot about students and help them even more by knowing more about them.

Wilfred,

This is a great way to make a good impression and to help students feel comfortable. The students who you help know they can always come to you and you will help.

Ronald,

This is a great idea. It allows students to see that you are a similar other. Sometimes being 100% professional all the time is too much for our students and they can't relate to that. They need to see that we have have several mountians and valleys to overcome.

I always try to smile and say good morning. I thing you have to make the students feel welcome and you’re glad to have them in class for the day

Wayne,

Sometimes people think that first impressions have to occur when you actually meet someone, but that's not true. If a instructor is not in the classroom on time, an impression has been made. If the instructor is standing at the door to smile and greet the students and make them feel comfortable and wanted as you do, then a wonderful impression has been made. GREAT JOB!

By arriving on-time, prepared, well dressed, and enthusiastic about the students, the school, and my subject matter!

Make them feel wanted, like they belong in your classroom. Be freindly, courteous and outgoing towards them. Even if this is not your style, or in your personality, a good first impression is crucial- particularly if you have a student that seems to be troubled and you need to make a connection with them at some point.

I always meet the students outside of class and say hello and good morning. I am also very clear on what the class intails, and what is going to be expected of them. I also reassure them that any and all help is provided for them to succeed, and theres no such thing as a"stupid question".

Sign In to comment