Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A smile, a welcoming greeting, excitement in your voice and preparation! From the very beginning, put into practice a varied and interesting presentation to catch their undivided attention.

Students need to know you're excited about what you're teaching/providing them to feel excited and motivated themselves.

They also need to know you're excited to be part of their lives and the decision they have made to improve their lives.

Let them know at the very first that not only what you are teaching them is important but they and their success are important to you.

This will set the tone and help to gaurantee the overall classroom experience.

Be punctual, be prepared, be open and kind. Set the example. You'll be surprised at the effort they will put forth and the participation you will receive from them.

welcome them and tell them how you think this will be one of their most enjoyable classes

This is so true! It is important to be positive with students each and every day. I also thank students for being in my class and for deciding to go back to school.

If you are warm up front and approachable and fair in your approach, it will create a comfortable atmosphere for the students. However, you need to be direct can clear on what is expected of them, they need this too

Be ready and waiting for them. Have everything prepared early so when you meet the students for the first time they have your complete attention.

Human beings form a "First Impression" in 2 to 5 seconds. How can you make a better first impression with your students?

The first day of class I make sure my classroom is clean, organized and inviting. I will have light music playing as students enter the room. I greet everyone with a hello and smile. I teach dental assisting classes and make sure my scrubs and lab coat are clean and pressed.

Theresa,

That is great. It is important that teachers remember that we get to make a new "first impression" each day class meets. the few minutes before class starts and the first few minutes of class are really important.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment