Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Smile, Shake their hand, introduce yourself.

These are good things to do, Gretchen.

A lot of research talks about making the very first class meeting a memorable one by diving into the subject matter through interesting activities the very first day.

David,

These are all good ways to make a positive first impression. Thanks for sharing them.

Each time we see a student, we have another chance to make a first impression. When we see them in the morning in the hallway, when they first walk into our classes that day and when we see them out and about, we have another chance to make a first impression for that interaction. They are all just as important as the first time we meet students at the beginning of a term.

On our first day of class I welcome them at the door. We have a line up every morning to check uniforms. I use that time to ask how they are and shake their hand and greet them. If I see someone not in a good mood I make sure to let them know, if they need to talk I am here for them.

I dont stop at just the first day. I make every day the students come to class see I am excited about the class and let them know that we are going to have fun in class that day. This will have the students excited and more eager to learn

Thanks, Franz. It sounds like your class is the kind of class that we need in career colleges.

This is a great way to make a good first impression every day. Thanks, Kristina.

I like to walk into my classroom with a big smile and say "hello everyone! How are you all today?!" I am always very entheusiastic when I enter my classroom. This tends to get my classes started off right.

Get there early and greet them as they come in the door. Dress in a clean organized fashion appropriate for the instituition. Stand up straight when in front of the class. Make direct eye contact if speaking to a specifc person. Tell them stories of success as well as real life stories of situations that did not go well. Explain how you rectified the problem and what you would have done different, to let them know that you are human as well. Help them understand that in the real world, knowledge = money, and it is tough to get too much of either.

By being professional and having a good attitude. They will see that I'm dressed properly just like they are required to be and hopefully my attitude will show.

Thanks, Shaun. What do you do the first part of each class meeting to make a good first impression that day?

Thanks, Warren.

Thank you for this post, Donna. I look forward to interacting with you in other discussion forums.

What do you do the first day of class to set the tone for the entire term?

Smile, stand up straight, extend your hand, make eye contact, and welcome them to the next step of their success.

Show-up on time and present them with profrssionalism. If you set a good example, they will follow.

Thank you, Vincent.

The first impression of the subject is very important, too. Experts recommend that the first class meeting of the term is a dynamic lesson that does something memorable to introduce the subject matter.

I do a meet and greet at the door as they come in. I explain to them in my intro how I came to be here. Like a lot of them I came here to help my Son get set up for the school. How I was so impressed with the place and it's possibilities along with getting Shanghaied by a few instructor next thing I know I'm working here. I moved from 800 miles and two states away, I've been here now for better than 3 years I have not ever regretted the decision, you guys make all the difference I truly enjoy my time here.

Saying hello...acknowledging that they are a part of this school. It opens the door.

I'll answer this question with a story. When I was first selected to become a Chief Petty Officer in the U.S. Navy, I had to attend various classes in leadership. One such class began with the instructor, a Master Chief Petty Officer, came into the room late, his shirt untucked, belt askew, wrong color socks, dirty shirt, and a few other glaring examples of an uncaring sailor. I personally knew this Master Chief and was taken aback by his appearance as were the other students in the class. It was not the norm for him. After the inital shock, he stepped outside and re-entered the classroom a minute later looking like the professional I knew him to be. He explained to us to need to lead by example. It's one thing to expect a certain behavior, but we as leaders must show the way by exemplifying that same behavior. If we present an unprofessional demeanor, our students will pick up on that and any attempt to correct unprofessional conduct on their parts will be met with distrust and disrespect. We must BE the change we expect to see in them.

Thank you, Paul. I have seen many teachers who expected students to do as they said, not as they did. It is great to see someone whio understands the impact of his behavior and attitude on students.

Our students look to us to be the example of what they can be.

Sign In to comment