Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I always spend the first few minutes of each class talking to the students on a more personal level. I believe this helps them feel more at ease and ready to learn the material for the class.

Tommy

The first impression students have of an instructor may be influenced by what an instructor’s former students have shared with their peers. Depending on the size of the college, or your department, there may be a lot of opportunity for sharing. One of the ways to improve first impressions with students is to be a consistent role model and remain approachable and genuine…and to be aware that while your first impression in the classroom is critical, your “reputation” can proceed you as well as follow you, so make it a habit to be congruent about the impression you give at all times.

I believe one must always rememeber that personal issues stay outside the school. We must always present a happy and warm environment at all times and make everyone who walks through the door feel welcome.

I always greet my class with a smile standing upright in the front center of the classroom. Since I am the department chair I usually know most of the students. I go out of my way to chat with any new students in the class before the session begins. After a brief course introduton I ask the students to discuss their concerns about the subject matter and to ask me any questions they may have about the course and/or my teaching methods. Once this icebreaker is completed I discuss the syllabus and course outcomes.

Thanks, Ronald.

The very first class meeting each term is very important to student success. Far too often, all we do is review the syllabus and go over the rules.

While those things are important, it is also important to hit the ground running with a well-planned and well-delivered lesson covering course material that first day. It sets the tone for the rest of the term.

I think we do a good job of first impressions (which, as we know, is in the admissions process). We need to do a better job with the transition between admissions and enrollment into actual student status. Personally, I need to do a better job of connecting with the students the second they enter the building or room, rather than looking harried or stressed.

Katlin,

Thank you for this post. The transition from admissions to academics is a tough challenge at most career colleges. We have to make sure that the picture created during the admission process matches what we deliever in academics.

Some colleges hold a faculty night either before the term starts or just after it begins during which new students get to meet with their faculty members on a more focused basis. families are invited.

Smile and use positive body language and talk to the student and then listen intently to what he is saying.

Gary,

Thanks for this post. One of the best ways for a teacher to make a positive first impression is to conduct a dynamic class during the first meeting of the term. Too many folks spend the entire period going over "the rules" and never get to why the students are there in the first place.

We can work the rules into the first few lessons as we set expectations for the term.

Smile and use positive body language and even pat them on the back and call them buddy.

I always meet them at the door and tell them " Good Morning" and make small talk with them before class. I try to learn a little about each of them. Just asking about their job or hobby really brings them out of their shell.

Thanks, Jasen.

The first class meeting each term is really a important opportunity to make good first impression. Too often, we spend the entire first class meeting reviewing the sylabus and going over our rules.

I suggest that the first class meeting be planned as a dynamic class session that focuses on the subject and on getting the students excited about the subject. There will be plenty of time to cover the rules later.

To be succesful you must achieve a balance between firmness, fairness and most importantly openess. You must be all of the things that you are trying to teach your student to be. This is where becoming a role model and mentor for your students begins. If you drop the ball here you will likely lose the game.

Daniel,

Thanks for this post. You are correct here. We definitely have to demonstrate all the knowledge, skill and attitudes we want our students to internalize.

I believe that the new students must feel that we as instructors do show them they are important and do listen to their response and let them know that they were heard.

I always try to greet all of my students at the door, and I always have a smile no matter how my day is going.

Joseph,

One school I worked for had the "five minute rule." We were expected to be at our doors or in our rooms five minutes before class so that we could take some time to build relationships.

As important as standing at the door and smiling is, what goes on in the first few minutes of class is also very important.

What do you do one the bell rings to make sure the students' first impression that day is a good one?

On the first day I welcome every student. Make sure I say there last name atleast once as they walk through the door. And tell each one I'm glad to have them as a student.

Thanks, Richard.

I have read several articles that encourgage instructors to make the first class meeting one in which at least one important course objectives is well taught in an entertaining way. What works for you?

Smile, look them in the eye, ask how their day is going and try to relate to them in some way.

Sign In to comment