Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think by direct eye contact,a look of warmth on the face,and a realistic how are you.

I have a good time just walking down the hall and start a conversation with a student i don't even know, asking just the basic questions, and alot of times they are smiling at the end of the conversation. A lot of things come from it. They get to know you, they feel the "someone cares" feeling and if they talking with other students that "drive by conversation" may get discussed.

Definitely. How would we ever expect a student to act in a professional manner if we don't display the same amount of professionalism. If we are meant to be their instructors, then we are instructing them in all that we do in the classroom, not just the subject matter. The students are learning from us because they hope to achieve the same things we have in our prior carrers. They are going to emmulate our actions, weather we want them to or not.

Great comments, kenny. Talking to students not in your classes is a great way to build rapport between staff and students throughout the campus. Students know everyone cares!

start off right away with something that they are intrested in. jump right in and start talking with them. brake the ice so to speek and give them the impression that i'm someone they can relate to.

I encourage interaction the minute the fisrt class starts by engaging them immediately in a current event topic. This usually gets the whole class going and is a good ice breaker for all. It helps them see me as an all inclusive instructor

Thanks, Monica.

A good way to plan a lesson that addresses most of the multiple intelligences is to ensure there is time for individual felection and time for interaction in triad, dyads or other small groups.

In addition to the obvious (smiling, presenting a postive attitude and professional demeanor) I always look them in the eye and shake their hand. I want to establish a physical connection and break the invisible barrier by extending my hand. For me, it is a way to invite them in and let them know that I am approachable. Also, I try to refrain from asking too many questions and listen to the student instead of peppering them with questions. Sometimes too many questions can make a person feel uncomfortable, or feel like they are being interrogated. Lastly, I try to make our converstaion engaging, light hearted and jovial. I think I'm a funny guy, but my sense of humor is very dry, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I think in the end, they feel more comfortable than when they first walked in my office.

Once again I think that first of all you have to be in the room before they are. They need to know that they are the center of attention.

Thank you, Jon. This is a very good post.

What do you do in those rare times when the dry humor misses with a student?

I'll focus on the student's non-verbal communication and their non-verbal actions. Usually the student is either extremely serious or extremely intraverted. For the serious students I attempt to get the focus back on why they are enrolled and I'll ask specific questions related to their choice of academic programs. I'll attempt to establish their trust in my job knowledge and demonstrate my understanding of the programs so they realize I am serious about their education too and knowledgeable enough to utilize as a source for questions/information. For the intraverts, I tend to foucs on the parent and direct a sense of caring for the student through the parent. For an independent student, focus on the spouse. My experience has taught me that the parent (spouse) and student will discuss their overall expereince on the drive home, and if I can make a positive connection with the parent, the student usually has the same connection becasue they trust their mother/father. I rely on the parent to convey my genuine concern for the student's overall well being.

Agreed. I think as a culture we are so absorbed, we use phatic communication and don't even realize it. Asking "How are you?", "What's new?" or "How are things going?" without really requesting, wanting or expecting an answer. We should remain conscious of this and say Hi or Hello when we're only trying to acknowledge a student and ask questions when we have time to listen.

Jon,

Taking the time to listen might be the most important thing we can do for our students. They need to know we are sincere when we tell them we are here for them.

Thanks, Jon! Good post!

I have worked on my ability to make a positive first impression over the years. I try to treat students I don't yet know very directly and fairly and avoid joking around too much, which could be easily misinterpretted. After I get them in class and I've gotten to know them, and they me, then I can work to make our class and interactions more fun, eductaional, and structured.

I always try and make first eye contact, say hello and ask them how things are going for them. Then I always ask whoever is not present to raise their hand, that usually loosens them up.

Smile and say hello to everyone. Even if you don't know someone's name or face, everyone likes to be greeted rather than ignored.

it is hard because they dont know me that well and I dont know them that well. We do a pre day one meeting and we talk about the upcoming class.

Isaac,

Teachers get a chance to make a good first impression in every class meeting. What are some of the things you do to get each class period off to a strong, positive start?

I think the best way is to smile, introduce myself, let them know I will help them to succeed. I like to ask them questions. Where do they live? What experience have they had with the subject matter? What questions or concerns do they have with the course or assignments? By asking questions I let them know I care and that they are important. The big step is letting them know I care. Abe Lincoln said, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Sign In to comment