Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

HABE's of Successful Students

What are the some of the habits, attitudes, beliefs or expectations (HABE's) you see in your most successful students? What separates them from students that were not as successful?

Many of our students are stressed, due to the current economic state of our nation. Fortunately, some of their habits have been excellent, but their attitudes have fluctuated. And although some of their beliefs and EQ's are high, their expectations at this point tend to mirror their attitudes. I was able to capture many tools however during this course, which will allow me to instruct my team in taking it to the next level, when it comes to students services and administration. I believe that what these students need is consistent encouragement, and someone to listen to them.

Natalie,

Your comments mirror the observations of a lot of teachers who are trying to help students reach their goals during these tough,stressful times. Students can lose focus rather quickly when the rocks in the road multiply or get bigger.

It is important to help students guard against negative expectations. Just as positive expectations usually lead to positive results, the Pygmalion effect can mean that negative expectations may need to negative results.

Thanks for being there for your students.

The HABE's of my successful students is their support system. They come from successful families where almost everyone has gone to and completed college and they are expected to do the same.

Mark,

Support systems are a key to student success, but they are really not habits, attitudes, behaviors or expectations. When you look at your best students, what specific things do you see that they believe, do, think or say that distinguish them from your less successful students?

They have a deep inner drive to succeed. It is nearly impossible to change the students support system (family, friends, etc). Therefore my only real chance of impacting the students possiblities for success, is to focus on their believes and vision of what they can achieve. Then, attitude, habits and expecatations will follow suite.

Peter,

If you had to pick just one habit that seems to be present in your most successful students that all students need, what would that be?

Jeffrey,
The habit I would pick in the most successful students, is research mindedness. If they are willing to do research to find the answer they will succeed.

Peter,

Thanks for this. One of our requirements then is to really teach how to do research.

Natalie you hit it on the money: being there to listen to students is the key! Listening will open the doors to HABE. IF you can take the cue from the student based upon what he or she says you can begin to earn their confidence and succeed in retention using the methods this course promotes. I always try to "hear" more than just their words , rather their emotions sometimes hidden within the words if acted upon can be a very powerful way to earn student trust.

Robert,

You are right on target here! Really listening to more than words is what it takes to help build relationships that lead to the development of the HABES needed for academic success.

The succesful students have many things in common. They are self motivated with above average confidence. They exhibit behaviors such as always arriving early for class, staying after to ask additional questions, requesting tutoring even when they dont really need it. They tend to start conversations about a topic rather than observe others. They are not shy about asking questions. Some of them even take on the role of mentors to their class mates. The succesful student does not lack discipline either. With these things in mind we as educators need to showcase these habits and attempt to spread them to all students. We must also lead by example on all fronts, that is, we must be confident, arrive early, be self motivating, provoke conversations and thoughts, stay late with students, tutor, and be mentors to all.

Great post, David. Leading by example is a key to developing these traits in our students who do not come to us with them already.

Good time management, positive attitudes that indicate a strong belief the student will be successful and expectations that there is a special place where they can be happy fulfilled and productive, are the qualities that are strong indicators that a student can weather their storms and overcome as necessary. Pessimistic students who come and go with no plan or procedural interest tend to be unsuccessful. Often, they wonder what happened and are unable to identify goals and what is concretely needed to achieve them.

James,

Thanks for this post. What can we do to build the desired HABES in our students who come to us pessimistic?

Successful students are able to remain focused when various factors try to influence their progress. Take jobs for instance. Jobs are scarce end I remind them that I have learned to manage my money through several downturns in the economy in the past 25 years.The economy will get better. Many are able to envision where they want to aim for, career wise, at the end of their training.Most ask questions slightly off the subject matter, to gain better insight into things that interest them.

Warren,

Being able to keep one's goals in focus is definitely one of the HABE's of successful students. What are some others?

We will call this student "Joe". Joe comes to the kitchen early and helps the chef prepare for the days demos,, in this time Joe interacts with the chef and asks things about the chefs carrier that Joe is passionate about persuing. Joe gets alot of insight and tecniques on organization and the importance of preperation. He is consistant daily along with this his deminor with other instructors and students is exeptional. He gets these trates from me! being the good mentor that I am.

Thank you for this post, Jason. If he is modeling your behavior because he respects you, you are indeed his mentor.

The number one trait they all have is dedication. The put alot of time and energy into their work and it shows.

Sign In to comment