Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At our institution we use prior education the reason for the student attending school the desirre for change and the goals that they have set for them selfs

Instructors are not privy to any personal information obtained during the admissions process. This is a violation of FERPA laws. Instructors only know what the students tell them.

None of this information is allowed to be shared due to the current FERPA laws. Students will share the information that they want you to have.

Regina--

That is an excellent point. Any health or accommodation concerns need to be appropriately handled prior to the beginning of classes.

Susan

I don't have any interaction with new students other than saying hi to them in the hallway.

Chad--

As you point out, FERPA does restrict sharing some information. Some information outlined in the FERPA regulations is appropriate to share if there is a 'need to know'. However, I am mostly suggesting here that information that will help to retain a student be passed along...possible barriers that they have already disclosed to the admissions personnel. These typically include things like the potential for child care issues, etc. Increasing communication among the departments, as appropriate, can really help.

Susan.

Things like name, number, email addresses. Also, family members of the student. Is the student married, single, have children.
If the student is coming from an hour commute. Having admissions share information with the instructors can prove to be beneficial.

The most important thing I can think of that Admissions can share with faculty is the reason why the student is attending and also to know what goal the student has in mind once the education part has been fulfilled. This information the faculty can utilize as a tool to motivate and keep the student focused on why he or she enrolled. It will also give the student a reassurance that the instructor cares about his/her success.

Personal aspirations or short/long term goals.

The only information I receive is if a student has an accomodation plan to assist in their learning experience. It is the student's responsibility to bring the information to me however, not Admissions.

In admissions they at times share birthday information with the instructors and them celebrate the students birthday in the class .

Even if the instructors just share a birthday email with the student it does mean much to the student.

students that are housed in the same areas would be a source of transportation if they need a ride to shool

If any of the students hav e an advisement form,or have difficulty reading,and understanding....

Other than their major, not much. Isn't it kind of illegal to pass information along, unless it is generic regarding their course of study?

Hi Estelle!

It sounds great to have instructors actively participate in the enrollment process and i can see how it could benefit us later down the line in retention. My question is how do you make time when classes have to be taught!

Hector

David--

That's a great question and often misunderstood. The FERPA laws preclude sharing some information except on a 'need to know' basis and other regulations apply concerning grades, financial, etc. to parties other than the student. This discussion is not focused on sharing information that is contrary to those regulations. There is information, however, that students share with the admissions, financial aid and other staff that are generic in nature and could be useful in retention.

For instance, many institutions have a prospective new students complete a type of survey at their appointment. A common question concerns potential barriers (child care, transportation, etc.) If others were aware of potential barriers to program completion, then it could be very helpful when students begin missing class. As an example, faculty could routinely encourage students in the classroom to develop their own network of support for transportation. You wouldn't necessarily need to know specific names, but clearly understanding that the 'incoming class' may have common barriers might inspire some very creative tactics.

Susan

We often prospective have students on campus and the admissions people encourge them to ask us questions and introduce us every chance they get.

The students used to write a paper in the Theory class listing their background, hobbies, interests and their expectations. These papers would then be passed onto the instructors of their subsequent classes. You could gain a useful insight to the new student from this information and also from the way they approached the exercise. I am not even sure if this is done anymore.

Jeffrey--

That is awesome that you are involved in the actual admission process. I am sure this makes a very positive difference for the prospective students.

Susan

Jessie .. I LOVE this Idea ,Im looking foward in putting it to practice..Thank u!!

Sign In to comment