Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe one day is enough to set expectations, next day course should formally start with academic material, students should read first chapter and present a section to the group. I like the idea of the pretest, to establish a baseline. Team orientation and familiarization with facilities is an excelent approach.

Raul--

Absolutely correct. Adult students typically make the decision to return to school because there is some sort of 'point of pain' in their lives spurring them to make a change. Keeping that decision-factor in their mind does provide them with incentive to complete their program.

Susan

Richard--

It sounds like you have your 'orientation' built in to the first two days of class, which is an excellent idea and probably helps with a number of factors such as 'late' enrollments, etc. It also provides them with a longer time to acclimate and build relationships with each other, faculty and staff.

Susan

Some of the information is:

-Reason for joining the program
-Sometimes background information (where they come from, hobbies, interests, etc)
-Work History

Hi Susan

Information regarding career goals, interests along with background of past schooling, etc.

Thanks

Alana

What a nice touch - bringing the student back around in a full circle. At the end of the course we ask what they are going to bring from the completion of this course to their future classes - now I am going to back it up to the beginning of the semester and have them write a "great expectations" paragraph of what they think they should be getting from this course -- then bring it out again for comment in the last week.

Part of our Admissions process is an extensive interview during which we discuss the prospective students' support systems, living situation, outside jobs, commuting situation (many commute 2+ hours to class, once a week), and any experience peripheral to our field. Much of this data could be shared with faculty to personalize interactions quickly.

Admissions does not collect personal information on the students. I like to have everyone tell a bit about themselves the first day of class to build repore and find out intrests, hobbies etc.

Our Academic departments encourages the Admissions department to sit in on one of their classes, so they can experience the classroom experience and have an understanding of what they are selling - an education - hands on learning - small classes.

Kim--

This is truly an excellent idea! I am sure that this helps everyone. The admissions staff can much more realistically and enthusiastically describe the classroom experience and students will get a much clearer picture.

It would also be interesting to have the faculty sit in on some admissions calls and interviews.

Susan

In the admissions department we collect all kinds of information that can help in orientation. Some of the useful information would be where the are from, if they are married, if they have kids or not, what part of town the live in, and so on.

Our university provides a bio prepared by each student concerning their educational and employment background, hobbies, interests, etc. However, this information is presented voluntarily and approximately 40% of the students do not provide information. Therefore, as part of my welcome announcement/letter, I also request them to do likewise. Upon completion, I read the content of both sources and enter fundamental demographic information on each person into a spreadsheet which I keep handy during class inter-action. I can then use appropriate elements as a basis of conversation and informational inquiry which allows them to recognize that I care about them as individuals. However, I am very careful not to expose information that I feel they might not want the group to know or be aware of.

Marhall--

It certainly sounds like you make every effort to personalize your interactions with students and leverage information to assist with retention efforts. Kudos!

Susan

The type of work the student has done before coming to school is important for the faculty to understand additional stregths student bring with them through prior knowledge. What hobbies the students have and any impressions both positive and negative the student may bring in anticipation of their collegiate experience. Everyone who comes to school comes with an expectation and through that expectation they begin to live their academic life. If the faculty knows and understands this predetermined perception they will be better prepared for guidance and response to objections as the level of knowledge increases. It will give them a better focus to extend to the student in presenting a positive view of the future.

It is important to gather some information from students at orientation, such as how long have the student been out of school, why are they back to school, what do they spect from the school, class and intructor. After this information we can make a plan to help and motivate each individual student.

Eddy--

I really like your questions and agree they will assist in developing a plan to help retain the student.

Do you have them write them down or??

Susan

There are many information that we can get from the first meeting.Thru observation, communication and interaction we can obtain grade of apperance,verbal skill,coping mechanism and self control.

The students reason for attending school and prior involvment in thier field of study.

I think that is a great idea. it shows the students that the institution really care about their education and helps them set realistic goals.

If there is a student with any type of disability, I think it is important for that information to be passed along to the instructor. That way, everyone is aware and things can be arranged accordingly to make sure everyone is taken at the same pace, or is given the attention needed for the student to make the transition as easy as possible.

Sign In to comment