Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like your ideas. Instructor "pep rally" thats a good idea. I feel also that the instructors are key people to our organization. They ineract with the students the most and if they are motivated and excited becasue the school (directors and managers) are making them feel that way then this feeling of excitement will be carried into thier classrooms.

Step 1: Identify high risk students
Step 2: Make frequent phone calls and more externship site visits
Step 3: Closely monitor progress

I know that we have help in place for our students, because I have worked here for 8 years and make use of them on many occasions. I will inquire about having the services available represented at the next faculty meeting so that they are more visable to new faculty. Sometimes we have the resources but faculty don't know about them or how to do a referral.

I like the idea "follow-up." I often get caught up in teaching, and become removed from problems because I refer them to my manager. I follow-up, but sometimes it's later than I should.

I will re-implement huddles with the student groups. This is a way to get to the bottom of some problems that may go unnoticed.

I will focus on the following:

1-Being more proactive in observing for early signs of stress,such as excessive fatigue,unexplained absences,decline or struggles in academic performance,so i can hopefully intervene soon enough,to help the student access the services they might need,to overcome the stressors.

2-Focusing and emphasizing their uniqueness,skills and self worth,aimed at preventing academic erosion.

3-Motivation and the need for persistence, refering frequently to their designated roles/ambition,helping them stay focused in achieving these goals.

Getting to know our students every chance we get, getting to know our fellow employees, and being agressive (though not overtly) in taking every opportunity to be help everyone we can whenever we can

First, I would need to identify the students in my course that might need support and/or help

Second, Maybe try to be a better role model, give the students some of my real life examples of what I have experienced in the field.

Third, I'll talk with other instructors that have a little more experience dealing with student retention and figure out how they boost the students confidence.

Tracy

Please tell us more about huddles. What is a huddle? How and when do you use this practice?

Good - and easily done - action to assure that everyone is properly informed about services. It's easy to take things for granted and assume that everyone knows what's available.

The first step I have already taken is to make sure students have my contact information. I provide several ways for them to keep me informed of their situation. I let them know I care by providing them access to me.

The second step I will take to improve retention is addressing issues with students that have negative attitudes. I will let them know that this will only carry over to other areas of their life and could be harmful in their search for employment. It could also effect other students' motivation.

The third step is to remind students frequently that the staff and faculty want them to succeed and that if they need assistance, they only need to ask for it. Complaining about a situation is not a request for help.

A better line of comunication. Having a better way to identify students in crisis , and having a 'fast action' plan in place to deal with them before they fail

1. Since it is midterm, I will meet with students individually to go over their midterm progress report and let them know where they stand in class. I will also give recommendations on how they can improve their performance.

2. Restate the objectives of the class to the students and how these objectives pertain their specific field.

3. Contact absent students to find out what is going on and help to keep them up to date in class.

1. Communicate to all faculty what student services has to offer our students and encourage them to refer students as appropriate.

2. See about implementing a better way of connecting with first-term students, possibly through a more intensive new student survey.

3. High levels of promotion of the student events already in place.

I will review my campus policy on retention guidelines and implement them in my everyday classroom procedures.
I will continue to interface with students in order to identify at-risk students and to let them know I am approachable and that I care about their success.
I will also continue to remind them that services are available to them when they feel in danger of Academic Stagnation or other academic or personal problems.

1. Next week, I will hold a mentor meeting where I bring past students in to meet new students.

2. In my Career Development course, I will ask graduates to come back and share their success stories with the class.

3. During future mentor meetings, I will include peer tutors and career services to help the students know their resources and to feel comfortable approaching those people.

Talk with instructors about the utilization of campusvue

Activity for the students, also ask the students why they think it's important to attend school on a regular basis

Observe classrooms to check dynamics

explain value of my class, help studnets meet challange of the class ,acknolage when a student meets or best my expectations.

1) be proactive and interact with students to determine any potential issues that could affect retention

2) make contact, understand and determine any possible options available regarding the resolution of those issues

3)offer suggestions and guidance towards any possible resolution

Mid term progress reports
Continued contacting my students when they are absent.
Encourage them to contact me if they have any concerns or feeling left behind.

I will double my effort to identify signs of stress among my students. We are about to start work on a series of classes to better prepare our students for the vocation they are about to enter using presentations from professionals in the field, and qualified instructors. I am going to focus my lectures more on what success in the classroom will mean to my students in the future.

Sign In to comment