Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We are starting a group called the Urgent Care Group. This group will meet once a week to address retention efforts.
We are exploring and brainstorming ideas that will help with our student retention challenges.
We are looking at various student programs such as starting a Dean's list for recognition of outstanding achievment; perfect attendance awards; and an Iron toque organization to gather likeminded student chefs together for seminars, networking, and career building techniques. We will concentrate our efforts on irradicating academic erosion and stagnation.

Great proactive step, Tracy. Who came up with this idea? Faculty? Administration?

Who will be in the Urgent Care Group? How often do you plan to meet?

connect with my students, look for warning signs, and see that the student gets the proper help needed.

The three steps I will take to ensure retention is communication, listening, and positive feedback. By clearly communicating my guidelines to students they will know what to expect. Second I will listen to their needs and make sure they can properly vent about problems. Finally, I will give my students positive feedback and encourgage them to succeed.

#1 Make sure students are aware of programs in place for mentoring and tutoring.

#2 Give examples of people who have had success finding jobs in the field, even in times of poor economy. Too many feel they won't be able to use what they have learned to find work and consider dropping out.

#3 Encourge them to succeed and let them know they have my full support and guidance.

The three steps that I will continue to take over the next 30 days are as follow:

(1) To get to know the student as a person and not just another name or number in my class; I have found that that by getting to know them, i.e. single/married, kids, unemployed, that they feel like someone truly cares about them and their success and it makes them want to continue the journey

(2) To publicly praise and recognize achievements by students, i.e. letting class know that a certain student obtained the highest grade; I feel that this provides a support system or cheerleader in their life which at my institution is a component that is severely lacking for a lot of our students

(3) To provide that ear to bend when outside or even inside forces are affecting the student's ability to achieve their education; I have found with my students that they just need an objective perspective or some resolutions to solve the problem that they are faced with

1. To reinforce that student success is the primary measure of our institutional success.
2. To continue to have the “We Care” attitude and be committed to it.
3. To deliver classroom material that has a positive impact on students.

I posted an initial response.

But, here are some steps I intend to implement:

1. In addition to contacting students who are absent from class, I will have a personal discussion with them when they return to class.

2. I will ask for more interaction among my students in class. Things such as critiques, development input to design, and hands-on help by students.

3. I will do my best to read the signs of potential problems with "at risk" students. Try to help before it is too late.

Ned

I will be very specific with my students on how the material in my class is very important to the career field they have choosen.

I will be sure to memorize the name of each of my students by the end of the first week of class.

I will let my students know each day through my actions and statements that I feel their success equals my success.

1. Meet with students to review their mid-term academic progress.

2. Continued support and encouragement to help their self esteem.

3. Focus on goals and employment opportunities.

1. Add Guest Speakers or Field Trip to each class.

2. Add course-specific strategies to bring their own "life and experience" into the class discussion/activities.

3. Meet each prospective new student along with Admissions to determine school readiness.

Mike our school has used this system with great feed back being documented.

Maintain a positive attitude. Ensure all students feel welcome and free to ask questions. Clarify performance objectives.

Three different steps I can do in the next 30 days to help retain students are contact them when they are not in class to see if they are alright, let students know as soon as possible if they are doing academically well in class so they have as much time to improve their situation, and act as a mentor when they have any life issues that would interfere with their education.

1. Contact students who miss a class and inform them of the subject matter that was discussed that day, following up with an email to them.
2. I will be available 1 hour before class and 1 hour after class for students.
3. A guest speaker from our industry will come into class to interact with students.

Here are three things I would suggest to management.

1. Take the "Chain of Command" "off the wall" Put a copy of this important procedural process into the hands of the student during orientation and put it on the student portal. (So they know who to go to when a problem arises).

2. Implement a system of giving the students the opportunity to presents problems through the computer.

3. Remind faculty who else is responsible for retention, when and where. I like the idea of taking the "burden" off the faculty and help the see themselves as part of a bigger process for retaining students.

I would like to develop a success story bulletin board,sort of like a "Where are they now?" with graduates of my program on the board.

I am going to institute more guest speakers in the classroom.

I like to get the upperclassmen involved with the new students, I would like to encourage more interaction with this.

(1) immediate action to any student who is absent via a phone call (2) Thorough follow up to any student issue (3) communication of any student issue with thier program director

1. I will start with changing some of the ways that I present class material. I am going to incorporated way for the student to present the material to each other.
2. I am going to revamp my student Academic counseling session to include more what about you question
3. i am going to these practices in to place.

The three steps I will take to assist in retention is to provide a reward system within my own program such as paralegal of the month certificate or pin or both; incorporate an event such as a pizza party, bagel breakfast, donut break, etc.; have a meet & greet session shortlyy after the beginning of the new term; have students exchange information with another student of the same class to be a support system, etc. (Oops! I gave you four)

Sign In to comment