Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention is a complex subject; it’s impossible to have all the answers, Joe. Getting input from other sources is always useful. Getting more people sensitized to the issues will make your job easier, too.

1.Meet with Deans to propose a new program where they will take a group of eight different-level students from various programs with-in their school to “Lunch with the Dean” each week. This would be an excellent opportunity to help the students bond, answer questions, listen to concerns, help the student develop confidence, and re-enforce school commitment.
2.Meet with management staff to develop a survey for new students to complete their third week in school to find out if classes are meeting their expectations, what issues are facing them, how we are doing in helping them stay motivated and gain confidence, etc.
3.Talk with graduates/alumni working in the field about setting up a ½ day mentor/shadowing program for lower level students similar to the program we have for advance level students.

Getting a broader group of people – students, graduates, employers and staff/faculty – is a great way to develop awareness, Jamie. Good luck with these initiatives.

1. Take a more active approach in trying to get a buddy system for car pooling.

2. Try to get faculty to get more objective orientented.. making the students see the need for this "stuff"

3. Make myself more available to the students not only as their instructor but as the Director of Education.

If you want the faculty to be more objective oriented why not try showing them how their class fits in to the "big picture". Too many times teachers look at what they have to do in the class without regard to where the class and the its learning objectives fit in the overall program.

I agree with you, Joseph. We spend time and energy trying to make sure the students get the “big picture”, but may overlook that with the faculty. This may be particularly important in programs that have multiple skill paths.

What other steps do you plan to take to improve retention?

We are engaged in developing analysis tools to assure that we are addressing real and not preceived problems. For example I assumed from observation that evening students enrolled in two hour labs were performing better that students in day classes in one hour labs. It turned out to be the opposite. An indication that further study is due here.

Great point, Joseph. Anyone else have a similar experience where fact does not support the conventional wisdom?

1. Implement suggestion box.
2. Meet with staff to outline their participation.
3. Revise performance reviews to include resposibilities of staff in retention practices.

This is an excellent idea. I have found that most faculty who fail to be objective-oriented are this way because they simply are unaware of the important role objectives play. It is vital that they see how the courses they teach do fit into the overall program (and the students' career goals).

One question--how can we provide more training sessions like this to our faculty without overloading them?

Teri

We definitely use retention in our performance evaluations; however, this does cause some concern among faculty; often, they mis-perceive what these retention numbers mean. I know we discussed this earlier in the course, but does anyone have any ideas for the best ways to present retention issues to faculty?

I guess I am looking for a better way to get them to buy into retention, as a whole. Perhaps this is a problem with our overall institutional vision of student success?

Teri

As an academic advisor, there are a few key things I want to try:

1. Improve communications with faculty and financial aid folks, so I can intervene as early as possible to help students who may be at risk.

2. Try to communicate with students who are doing well in their courses (to say Hello and see how they are doing), rather than dealing solely with the students who are exhibiting problems.

3. Although this is not an issue I have much control over, I would like to address the issue of expectations with my supervisor, who will be able to discuss this with admissions folks.

This is only a start....

Teri

Do you have regularly scheduled training for faculty and/or staff, Teri? How about all campus meetings? If so, you can carve out some time from each of these sessions to present the material. Some institutions regularly schedule “in service” days during term breaks for exactly this sort of initiative.

In my experience, Teri, faculty are most resistant to retention when they feel that they are shouldering a disproportionate share of the load. They are more responsive when they see that all the departments within the school are responsible for retention. Many are unwilling or unable to address non-classroom issues, but will refer students to others who are better prepared to help. General understanding and buy-in of the overall institutional vision of student success – and the vision of institutional success – are critical.

l. I will check with students that have been
absent.

2. Try to create an environment where all
students will succeed.

3. Check and discuss with students that seemed
to be stressed over subject material.

1. Make arrangements for each of my classes to take guided tours of our Career Services Office. Ask the Director of Career Services to give each group a brief overview of current job openings, examples of recent graduates placed, and a “top ten list” of things employers look for.

2. Modify my grade book spreadsheet to produce “Perfect Attendance” lists for each class. Post these conspicuously on a bulletin board in the classroom, and update the lists at least weekly.

3. Push to establish several free student self-help programs, including aerobics, a lunchtime walking group, and a “stop smoking” support group. Target new students, but promote these programs among the entire student population as well.

Dennis, your action list is a great example of effective things that can be implemented without a lot of debate and money. The guided tour of Career Services can be particularly forceful with entering students. The idea of self-help programs is a clear demonstration that the school is concerned about the whole student.

Please let me know how these initiatives work out.

I would implement the following:
1. Create a buddy system for new students. Current Honor Students would be recruited to act as buddies to new students and help them acclimate to the school and assist them with any questions.

2. Set up a plan where the Director of Education meets informally with each new student during the first or second week of enrollment to see how they are adjusting and identify any problems at the earliest stages.

3. Give each new student a wallet-sized card containing the names and contact information of key staff members along with other vital school information (emergency #, etc.) This convenient card could be kept in the student's wallet and be readily accessible if needed.

I am an Administrative Assistant, I answer the phones when the students call out.
1.)I try to be on a first name basis.
2.)I encourage the students to call the Dean of Students when they have an issue that needs to be addressed.
3.)If there is a student who has a complaint I immediatly inform the director so he/she can intervene.

1. I think a monthly retention bonus would be a good incentive for instructors who are able to retain the most students.

2. Recognize students who have perfect attendance by giving them a pin.

3. Enforce an attendance policy but be consistent.

Sign In to comment