Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will take the following 3 specific steps within the next 30 days to improve retention:

1) Monitor student attendance and tardiness
2) Monitor the gradebook for low grades and missing assignments
3) Actively reach out to students who appear to be falling through the cracks.

The 2 "red flags' listed above will help to identify troubled students and enable me to follow the 3rd step in order to improve retention.

Joe Martinez:

Thank you for your post. You write that you would be "understanding of my students struggles" and offer "solutions for thier struggles. You also note that you would tell "them what is important to worry about and what is not;" but how does one identify struggling students?

Do you think it would be useful to 1) Monitor student attendance and tardiness; and 2) Monitor the gradebook for low grades and missing assignments? Do you think these 2 "red flags' will help to identify troubled students and enable us to reach out before they fall through the cracks?

Ricardo

I will try to speak one on one with a new student after each class. I will also begin calling students who have missed class, and I will try to be more prompt in answering emails and messages from students.

We have also been engaged in dialog discussing the implementation of the Survey and Vertical Probe.

The 3 specific steps that I will take in the next 30 days to improve retention at my institution are: 1.) Incorporate more small group activities and discussions in the classroom. This will assist in encouraging and engaging the students who are shy or un-interested, and do not take an active part in discussions to partipate and feel a part of the class. 2.) Spere-head a seasonal activity (Pink Day for Breast Canceer Awareness), which will involve students, faculty, staff, and administrators. This activity will allow students to communicate, interact, and develop a closer relationship with all of us; as well as let them know that we care about all aspect of their success. 3.)Place a "Suggestion" box in the classroom and ask the students questions on a weekly basis on a specific subject which might pertain to the school as a whole, or the classroom and collect the responses. I will review them and take to the person in charge of that department or division. This will allow us to know what our students are really thinking. Because as of today, to my knowledge, we no longer have a suggestion box for students. However, we did have one in the past. I will also address to the Academic Dept's, DOE, and suggest that we place the suggestion for the students in the student lounge area.

1) talk to your students let them know you care.
2) let them know if they are not understanding something that you are avalable before and/or after class.
3) inform them of the other resources they have avalable to them if needed

I'm planning to investigate a way to get another field trip added to the curriculum closer to the end of their time here to keep the career goals alive. I would like to have a larger role in starting the students off on the right foot by teaching their first class and letting them know where the resources are for their many needs at the early stage. And lastly I'd like to bring a social club back to life once the class is no longer offered.

understand the needs of all students, why they do the things they do, and work to help student in there needs.

The things that I do and will continue to do is:

1. Practice what I preach - Tell the students that I am there for them in the best way that I can, and prove it to them, when they come to me.

2. Sometimes it pays to listen - Sometimes people just have things bottled up and just need something to release it on. I will be for them as a listening ear. Not to judge and sometimes (depending on what it is), not to react on it, but be there to listen. I have learned that a lot of times, people have a resolution to a problem that they have had on there mind, but just needed to say it out loud.

3. Be concerned - If my student is not at school or seem to be missing a lot of days. Take some time to call, email, or reach out to them through something like facebook, to make sure that they are ok.

Develop volunntary activities for students outside of the class to develop academic and hands on skills as well as build their self-confidence.

Guest speakers to speak to students both in and outside the classroom.

Make staff members within the department more availalble for student mentoring and advising.

Sign In to comment