Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You know, that's a very good point, training, as we as have always given that of service is the act of giving a particular skill set to a group of individuals, which may not be at the same particular level. What what I'm trying to say is that we need to train our entire staff on the objectives and the outcomes of retention, as well as the overall success of having a high retention rate. There are many topics which of course could be addressed and this could be done during a general in-service day with individual breakout groups designed to cover the specific areas. Attendance at these breakout groups should be categorized as being required to rotate through the different breakout groups. At the end of the day all of the groups come together and would provide a synopsis of what transpired in their session. This would act as a demand generator and then they would be carried in the spirit of retention throughout the institution.

This survey instrument designed to gage or measure student satisfaction surveys is usually given at the same time, when the instructor evaluation is being used as an end result. We and up with a particular time at the end of the semester when the student is constantly filling out forms with answers to questions which sometimes I wonder if anyone really understands what the questions are.

The survey instrument should be designed aware as everyone should be able to understand what the question is asking. Example of this is a question that says is your textbook adequate graded on a level 1 to 5. Obviously an answer is required, but are we getting a real answer or the answer that the students anticipate what we want to hear. Additionally how are these surveys tabulated and how soon is the information made available to the college at large. One practice which I learned at a particular university was to have each instructor respond on the website to his class to some of the general observations that were made on the survey. It certainly did make a difference with the level of interest answers which were produced in that this student's who knew that someone was going to respond to their particular suggestion, probable, or outcome.

1. Communicate more with our retention coordinator
2. Encourage student on a class daily basis and reward them for their persistance
3. Call the students when they are absent to let them know they are not just a number but they mean alot to us and we are concern.

There are several different ways to improve retention. 1.having a Open House. Students love this and its a great way to interact with each other. 2.Evaluations from the students, this is also a good way to make sure that the students expectations are being met. 3. Just making sure that if the student has come to you with an issue that we follow up on it. Alot of the times just showing them that you care enough to ask (that you remembered) they really then believe that WOW they do care. That in itself would make me want to keep returning!

1. I'll continue to stress the availability of extra help in mastering course material.

2. I'll make more connections between my education at the school subsequent career developments (keep the dream alive).

3. I'll ensure that they remain aware that I am there to help them succeed.

1. Meet with the Director of Education to discuss current retention rates and how we can publicize those in a broader context.

2. Volunteer to work on school initiatives to build team spirit such as upcoming cook out and social events.

3.Perform an analysis of students who have dropped from my class to determine reasons they left - will work with admission reps to follow through on this.

SurveyMonkey is a great tool for a wide variety of questionnaires. You can make them a fun addition to a class or make them as serious as you need to be for other topics. It might be interesting to administer one as a part of a quarterly program meeting just to get a sense of your students as a group.

1.direct student to appropriate faculty
2.listen to students
3.offer extra hours of availability for students who may need help

1. I will try to secure a guest speaker(s) for each of my classes to share their experiences with my students.

2. I will continue ongoing training via MaxKnowledge and other continuing education as these opportunities become available.

3. I will continue using interactive resourses such as LearnSmart to help motivate students as they learn the material.

At our institution we:
1. The program directors call students who are absent
2. Faculty use a form tht identifies at-risk students
3. For new students, the program directors meet with them within the first 30 days of their start.

I will be more aware of how the students are doing academically, and also pay attention to those "warning signs" when a student may be having trouble and try to help them right away to keep them engauged in the classroom. Also monitor progress to let them know how they are doing academically. I can also make a point of how important attendance is, and how that makes a difference being in class and on time every day.

Please see below:

1. We already have a robust orientation program, and process that leads up to it to support the student as they get ready to enter our institution. We will be looking at linkages to the process and program that can help to improve its effect and impact. These will include providing the e-mail addresses and contact information for all of our instructors and mentors, not just the one's specific to a students program of study. We will also be providing students with a clearer escalation path for support that specifically identifies who owns each step in their escalation process for a specific problem or concern, and how to interact with that person.

2. We will be looking at our mentoring solution, and the support provided for it, and evaluate its effectiveness. We are attempting to focus it more closely on our students needs based on their program of study as well as linkages to job placement and career development skills.

3. We will be looking at trying to coordinate a carpool solution fo students that express interest in one.

I will make myself more available between classes to talk informally with students.

I will spend more time in our learning resource lab with students.

I will actively pursue mentoring opportunities

1. More collaboration between departments
2. Provide the identifying components of retention in an all-school email so that everyone may learn from my training.
3. Solicit student-mentors.

I will meet with my Student Government to discuss upcoming events, concerns, areas for improvement, etc.

I will check the suggestion box, and forward a typed copy of all concerns to my Campus Director, and then seek resolutions from the persons who can best respond to each suggestion. Where names are given, I will respond to each person with the best possible answer.

I will engage students in activities that are interesting, meaningful and challenging. I will help them to appreciate the opportunities available to them after graduation through the use of field trips and guest speakers - and I will help them to succeed, whole heartedly.

Not just things to say, but truly things that are already scheduled, and will be accomplished.

In-service excellent topics, guest speakers, develop more instructional classes for the students.

find ways to make my class more motivational...create class games....be enthusiastic about the information we are covering in class

When writing lesson plans, I will focus on student involvement and interaction to increase program cohesion.

Be sure that I verbalize or ask the students to state how what we do every day in class relates to their calling.

I will ask the powers-that-be to include utilization of an online orientation program the students can start using once they have been accepted that covers success strategies for college students.

Have better understanding of each staff members responsibility
Improve communication between staff and faculty.
Take a deeper look at the strengths of each faculty member to develop better use of their skills.

1. Know each student individually (have some info before contact)
2. connect with the student and ask the students problems, concerns and WAYS THE STUDENT THINK TO SOLVE THESE PROBLEMS
3. Provide solutions for certain type of concern

Sign In to comment