Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Action items 2 and 3 certainly are doable, Edlynn. I urge you to check Federal regulations before implementing monthly retention bonuses.

The Survey and Vertical probe is an area we intend to explore further.

The students need to know we care. Unfortunately they believe we will look the other way if they are in our good graces. They need to have solutions to their problems, not excuses. We cant solve all their problems but we can let them know there is a place to start.

How might you use these tools, Diana?

Jo, what specific actions to plan to take in the next 30 days to let students know your institution cares about them?

1. Make sure the retention policy is in writing

2. Ask the director to make sure all staff and faculty have a copy of the retention policy

3. Help develop intervention methods to be distributed to all staff and faculty.

A strong list, Suzanne. I hope you will get the cooperation you need.

First of all, I plan on meeting with my supervisor to discuss some ideas I've picked up form this course. We have implemented a Satisfactory Academic Progress to hold the students accountable, but I think we might try to implement something along the line of Satisfactory Training/Education Experience. It will be interesting to come up with a way to 'take the pulse' during the training, not just at the end with the exit interview and the Student Servey, (the what did we do right/wrong survey). I'm looking forward to a few challenges. Retention is a very important issue, I'm ready to meet it!

1. Hold and instructor "pep rally." We have to continuously work to energize our instructors to understand the great things they are doing for their students. We hope that the energy that we can produce here will help them reproduce energy in their classrooms.

2. Help DOEs to not dwell on things they cannot change. From time to time, we have a student who drops for a reason that we could not prevent (moving, death in the family, etc.) Too often we dwell on this student and lose focus on the students who we can help.

3. Develop better follow-up strategies. Helping a student today is fine -- but following up and making sure that the problem does not recurr is the real measure of great retention. We can program our database to e-mail us with various reminders. We should be able to set up a reminder system to follow up with students after we have resolved a problem.

Great list, Brian. Good luck.

My 3 goals for improving retention for the next 30 days will be:

1) Ramdonly pick one student a day and ask them how they like class, what grade they received on their last test, and ask them if there is any additional support they need.

2) Set up student appriciation day in each location

3) Speak with Director of Education regarding seminars for students to enhance their education.

These seem like well focused, achievable goals, Abigail. As you meet with students each day you undoubtedly will learn a lot about how your school actually works. You will also create expectations that you will take action. This can be a double edged sword, particularly if students begin to use these meetings a mini-grip sessions.

I also urge you to be vigilant to identify students who are disenfranchised and don't participate in the appreciation activities.

Good luck; let us know how these actions work.

Great ideas!! Are they helping?

As we enter the summer months, our focus turns toward activities. The three specific steps include: 1) outdoor barbecues at each of our campuses; 2) family day at an area amusement park; and 3) intramural sports between the campuses. Because our classes are scheduled for Monday through Thursday, it allows us to offer these activities on Fridays and/or Saturdays.

Sounds like you have a healthy budget for activities! What is the participation level for these events? Are family members invited? Do the students wear clothes that identify your school? This may be a good way to "tell" the community about your school and how you treat your students.

I hired a retention coordinator. I am going to have her work on the following:

1. On a bulletin board in each building we will post a picture of each staff member and list there title and their main area of responsibility.

2. Suggestion Box. We have one that rarely gets checked, therefore; it rarely gets any suggestions.

3. Carpool and Babysitting Pool. With gas prices the way they are and so many students begin single parents, it is something we may be able to provide help with.

Kathryn, thank you for focusing on next steps. This is a good list that should bring positive results. Good luck!

Kathryn,

You present some great ideas and they should work well for you. I had/have implemented all three of your ideas to our school quite some time ago (3 - 4 years) and have learned some tricks to make them successful. If you don't mind I would like to share them with our classmates.

Bulletin Board: At first your students will notice your board and review its contents learning about each instructor and/or staff member: BUT if you do not change it at least once or twice a week, you will lose your audience. My suggestion is to post a piece of paper on the board that states, "If you read this come to SS to answer a question about the board and you will win a prize... This will keep them coming back. Everyone likes cheap, but FREE candy is better.

Suggestion Box: Our suggestion box was extremely popular at the beginning and then became a place for chewed gum, trash, and other items not worth mentioning. To make the suggestion box work, you need to post the suggestions you receive to the public and continue to report the status of the suggestions. Even if their suggestions were denied, they will be pleased to see action. Also, if the reason of denial can be posted, then do it.... If it is not TOP SECRET, then do not treat it as such.

Carpool and Babysitting Pool: The only thing I can say is that before you implement this, do your research on those that you recommend to drive and those whom you recommend to baby-sit. Make sure that all of the proper documentation is there before putting your school's name to it.

Great comments, James. You raise some interesting concerns about carpooling and babysitting. What responsibility does the school take if it merely facilitates a posting of interested parties? How much background checking is prudent? What about rights to privacy?

During the next 30 days, I plan to:

1. Develop a cross-functional retention committee with the specific goal of increased communication between departments regarding students who are potentially at risk.

2. Train instructors and program chairs in the use of surveying and vertical probing to get to the heart of student issues.

3. Set up a schedule to visit each class at least once each week.

Sign In to comment