Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Make my own student survey sheet to find out any concerns or comments my students may have in my class or in the school overall.
Look through the student survey feedback to see what area(s) I can improve on.
Try to have a short one-on-one conversation with each student, each class to see if they need any assistance. I teach 4 hour night classes, so this would be achievable.

Try and take more of an interest in the students lives, Have more one on one with the students, Have an open door policy

1) Post "you suggested" and "we answered" signs/cards with feedback and implementation responses from student surveys

2) Begin using the 8 stages of intervention, survey and vertical probe methods during student meetings

3) Track cohort data on retention

go to work with a positive attitude,try to have better communications with co workers as well as the students,give the students a open door policy.

Taryn, connecting students can be a powerful motivator for group achievement. Of course, we must be careful about what information is shared with a student's peers.

Loren Kroh

I will identify any knowledge deficiencies my students arrive with & develop simple self learning packets that will help them succeed. Also make myself available before & after class to answer any questions.
I teach relevance to their chosen field throughout the course & give encouragement every chance I get.

1. Collaborate with faculty in evaluating persistence improvement plan that will increase the "We care" approach.
2. Probe the need to create a Student Assistance Program for crisis interventions spearheaded by a selected faculty.
3. Suggestion box

Specific steps to improve retention will include:

1.) More in-depth follow-up regarding class absences. As we have now reached the mid-quarter marker, I will reinforce efforts to encourage prompt class attendance.

2.) Establish individual follow-up sessions for marginal students to address need for further tutorial assistance and complete referrals as deemed necessary.

3.) Complete field trip and student-speaker activities to address possible concerns due to academic erosion and/or academic stagnation.

Anna, how do you identify knowledge deficiencies? (what are knowledge deficiencies?) Can you share an example of what's in a self learning packet?

Loren Kroh

Three specific steps I will take withij the next 30 days to imkprove retention will be mentoring students, tutoring students that require additional help, and putting up a suggestion box so that students can anonymously make suggestions.

1. Conduct a meeting with faculty to discuss building relationships with the students do they are comfortable talking about issues.
2. Continue being easlily accessable for students to speak to.
3. Review our semester for attendance and drop issues to improve next term.

1.Use attendance as asignificant percentage of the grade.
2. Encourage student participation through small groups, peer tutoring, twin-pairing.
3.Make student feel important that their needs and expectation are important ot the college.

1. We are striving towards being high on task and high on compassion. We want to hold students to a high standard and feel this can be done without sacrificing how much we care.
2. We are implementing new traning strategies for our staff so that we are consistent in what standard we hold our students to, and so that everyone knows that proper resource to refer students to.
3. We are recognizing the good, in our students and staff.

Positive reinforcement/feedback in the classroom.
One on one time with students.
Increasing the fun factor of learning.

1. E-mail and request to meet students who have shown signs of academic distress and fatique to help them develop coping mechanisms and build support through a peer or mentor assignment.

2. Greet students at the door at the beginning of class on Mondays and then on meet them at the door on Thursdays before they leave class wishing them a nice weekend.

3. Announce to students my expanded office hours to help them with academic questions or if they need to talk about studying habits and improvements.

Establish a stronger relationship so they feel more comfortable talking if a problem should arise. Show them that I am there whenever needed.

Reiterate how important their success is to me and to them.

Ask my director if we can implement an awards program; attendance, academic, ect. To show that we care how well they are doing!

Taking an interest in each and every student, making conversation with them. Trying to make every student everyday day feel like they are a key part of class. Try to re-ingnite their passion of why they decided to come to our school.

Hello Loren,

Thank you for putting together such an interesting and relevant course.

The three things I will do in the next 30 days to improve retention include:

1) Track students to see which ones have fallen behind in their coursework.

2) Contact those students that have fallen behind to discuss their progress and dicuss a plan of action.

3) Ask each student's advisor to contact the student to discuss their progress and coordinate with the advisor.

I will get from behind my desk and visit classrooms more often.

I will have lunch once a week with students.

I will have my advisors visit the classrooms more often.

Create a manual for all students that includes all staff and who you would go to for what.

Start student council.

Create a resource manual (child care, apartments in the area, government assitance programs, etc.)

Sign In to comment