Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have an agreed upon departmental rule of having at least one active learning activity per class. This seems to help keep students engaged.

I would like to add to that comment. Every several days I talk to my classes as a whole and ask them if they have any concerns and anything they would like to talk about. If I feel there is a particular student that is shy or withdrawn, I will talk to them alone and be a little probative until I get the student to reveal problems to me that I might be albe to help them with, or send them to someone who can be of help to them. It is so important to keep track of our students.

We also use a portal system and I personally update my grades on a nightly basis to let the students check their progress. I am the last class before they graduate so I feel it is necessary for them to have access to their progress at all times.

At the facility I am employed, we address academic errosion by presenting students with special certificates and pins(for outstanding behavior, grades or attendance). We present them in front of the class and applaud the recipient. This has worked quite well in my class.

When more than 10% of a class is missed, the student is on attendance probation. They have a weekly meeting with the instructor to review attendance. Missing assignments or lower grades can be discussed as well.

They can check on their grades online whenever they like. I get homework back to them almost always in 24 hrs - if not they know the reason why (even if I just tell them I'm sorry I don't have the work graded because I had a crazy day!).

After the midterm, each student is met with privately for advising - done again after the final.

For my program, group and private tutoring hours are on the schedule and frequently announced/encouraged. If a student has missed or had a low grade, advising can be mandatory as part of an action plan.

Our school has a very similar policy. Instructor are encouraged to handle all situations in the classroom, first. However, the Director of Education and School Director are always involved and ready to step in when needed.

My institution has a similar practice. A verbal advisement is given and if there is further decline a written advisement is given. If there is no improvement the student is then seen by the program director and further action is taken.

Each faculty member is responible for carefully assessing student success and intervening before the student fails. This is done with academic advising meetings, all at risk students that have been advised are also monitored by the program directors to ensure everything is being done to help the student succeed.

Written advisement is done and students signed. The students rarely attend tutoring as advised and continues to be advised based on the policy to advise based on each failed exam.

I think this is a good idea. We use Engrade at our school for this, however, I would like to see an integrated system.

If we are having a situation with a particular student we have a conversation with them, document discussion on a student advisement form, have the student sign the form (just to verify that the discussion happened, what the situation is, and what the plan for resolution is), and then document in campus vue. If the student continues the particular action then we follow the student academic catalog as to what the next step is depending on what they are doing. The catalog is our and the students' guidelines to everything.

At our school, we reach out to students when we notice they missed one day of class, by calling them, and e-mailing them. At midterm progress reports are then given out to our students and we get to see those who are at risk and get with the student one on one to see how we can help them out.

Seems that students have alot going on and lose track of their progress, success, they don't seek help until it is to late, then they get frightened and they think it is to late for help. Instructors really to keep an eye, hear what is being said and talk to all about the tutoring being offered, counseling, mentors. We want them to go far with all they have invested towards their future.Great subject to read and refer to in future.

Because I work with students on a flexible, I follow-up with them as soon as they fall behind. I ask them if there are any issues that they are having and what I can do to help.

All instructors keep close contact if there seems to be a student that should be red flagged. We email each other throughout the term. It does help us keep ahead of many issues.

After each test any student that does not achive a passing grade is mentored and provided documentation with suggestions of how to improve study habits and test taking skills. Unfortunately, the majority seem to sign them and file the document away without following through on the suggestions. These are the ones that are typically unsuccessful.

I do routine advisements during mid-term grading. And do advisements before if attendance or grade performance is below standards.

Great points and question. Instructors have a limited amount of time outside of contact and prep hours to devote to all their students. One student with repeat issues and support "needs" can drain that available time from an instructor, depriving time from better students who also need encouragement and support to get from that C to a B, or a B to an A.Even with a good team approach, there has to be a balance of time.

If a student exhibits signs of academic erosion, the instructor will attempt to identify whether the student is having concerns & difficulties academically or whether the problem stems from outside, family etc. Academically we provide regularly scheduled tutoring. If outside we refer to Student Support Services. The first day of class the students are reminded of these supports that are available to them. Then I usually continue to remind them. Also I make myself available to them.

Our clinicals are held in nearby area hospitals where the students are doing there hands on training in live operating rooms. The areas that I evaluate are broke down step by step with each skill that must be performed from the duties that are performed before a surgery begins that carries through the surgery to the end and after the patient exits the room. Yes, the students and I sign this daily review each day.

Sign In to comment