Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We provide school wide surveys quarterly and email results to all faculty and students

I think some are evident in the beginning and at other times they reveal themselves further in the course or a program. The objective is to catch and address the student's weaknesses early so that they can make adjustments and still be able to be successful in the course/program.

Every day I enter in student grades. I do written and verbal advisements to let them know where they stand,if they are failing or close to it. I then will update failing or at risk students every few days to let them know their grade status. I recommend tutoring for those students that are in danger. We try to devise student success strategies based on the situation.

Our campus has programs in place to address both academic erosion and academic stagnation. This would include instructor led programs, as well as referrals to Licensed counselor, or academic dean.
At the instructor level, students are offered tutoring; and are required to have mandatory tutoring for failing midterm exams.

We run reports that show grades and last date that the student attended class. We reach out to these students that we see our having problems and do our best to meet with them f2f, speak with them over the phone, or communicate via email. We then let the student tell us what is happening in their life and try to help connect them with resources / solutions.

All instructors report weekly on students that they are concerned about and what they have done to help the students.

Tutoring is available for all students in every subject. Students that avail themselves of these services tend to improve their grades significantly.

When a student is overwhelmed with the work tutoring is offered to the student. Sometimes it is with the instructor and sometimes it is with someone else who might bring a new perspective to the student.

If the student does not come in for the suggested tutoring than a student advising is done to help the student understand the importance of moving forward with their academic pursuits. During the counseling some probing questions about what might be blocking them from succeeding in their academics. We also create an action plan together to help them turn around their issues.

Our school has recently started having "At Risk" student meetings once a month. Every program has a representative that is in charge of monitoring student behavior (attendance, attitude, academics)and bringing up the students that are having issues with the other instructors, Director of Education, and School Director. This gives us a chance to brainstorm ideas to help the student and try to correct the behavior before it becomes an issue. The students are not aware that they are brought up in a meeting, as that would only put more stress on them.

At my institution students who experience Academic Erosion are asked to participate in tutoring sessions after class or to make an appointment wiht the instrutor for any course where they need more assistance. These sessions are highly effective in having students energized into completing assignments and understanding material they may not have understood in class.

Students gain confidence and feel part of the group of students in class who are participating and sharing knowledge that they now all can understand.

It is also a place to talk about issues that may interfere with their edication.

~Theresa

Our instructors are allowed to write both academic and attendance advisements, which we do as soon as possible in order to keep either one from becoming a bigger problem. If it is a repeated issue, we then take the problem to our Program Directors for further advisement.

At any school the instructor is the 1st to notice students' absences. At our school, at the 1st absence, the instructor is to contact the student, find out why he/she is not present, let them know what they have missed for the day, and make known what is expected to bring to school regarding school work. That is what I mainly do. The absence is also to be documented into campusvue. If I cannot get hold of the student I ask classmates, and usually they have information about the student. At the 3rd absence, student gets a warning he/ she is placed on probation regarding attendance. And usu. from that time on they take into account their presence to be in school.

I agree with your statement. I make myself available to the student for as much time and subject need as possible. Even with all this students don't show up because: I forgot, I didn't have a bus pass, I had a family issue...., and yes many of them do poorly on tests and handson. My questions is when is enough enough? As an instructor, when do you limit their assistance? I think the first time you say "sorry I won't help you today" becomes a negative mark from the students point of view and can effect their desire to stay. Retention is challenged.

Every week following exams and quizes the lesson summary is pulled. Each student is made aware of where they stand grade wise. Students enjoys the challenge of doing better week after week.

We have almost all of the strategies in place like advisement for failing grades and midterm reports and tutoring of students at risk. We do have a protal system for students to monitor their grades. We also have mandatory tutoring for students who fail a test or quiz.

We have begun posting a "resource" bulletin board in both lab & lecture classrooms. The information includes instructor & key admin person contact information-phone & e-mail. I plan to add information on the resources our school provides, i.e. tutoring,resume writing,everyday financial counseling , test taking skills,employment fairs, etc. I believe reviewing these resources will show students their available & we care.

A specific guideline for advising students is followed to intervene to address academic erosion and academic stagnation. A verbal discussion occurs initially. Then if an additional conversation takes place, then a written advising is administered to address concerns. If continual disobedience occurs, then the advising with follow a chain of command.

Connecting with our students is our first step.

One of the clues that alert instructor and help identify some at risk students, is when their academic performances start to drop, as compared to what their prior performances.
In my institution, we monitor each student's performance, and make sure that the student and the competent authorities are informed.
The first action will to recognize the facts and start with tutoring and mentoring to bring back the students to a better academic performance.
This first if not successful because of seriousness of the students issues, others intervention strategies will be considered.

My scholl monitors students' perfornance and we identify promptly students academic problems.
The instructor along with concerned authorities work with the students find the issues at center of the performance change. Discussing and listening will provide usuaaly clues as for to proceed further.

Sign In to comment