Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

they are bubble scan trons. They are administered at the end of each phase. The students have as much time as they want to read the question and fill out the scan trons.

I have to agree, talking to the students 10-15 minutes before class starts lets them know we're are with them and in it for them.

Sounds very formal, Mary. Do staff and faculty use the chart? Has it been successful?

Paul, how do assure that you are able to talk with each of your students? What are the topics?

We use the same process but, I always try to take it a step further before getting a manager involved. The relationship that I have developed with the student goes way beyond what any manager has. I will work with a counselor to help relieve the students stress.

The intervention process we use for Academic Erosion is to write a advising form for the student.
Explain the reasons why they are receiving the form. Low test scores, Poor attendance rate.
Ask if they need help or suggest tutoring. Ask if work or home life is affecting school work.

From the start of the program students are connected with an advisor who is also the program director. Students that have possible issues are identified early in the term and the program director meets with those students once per week.

I'm sure I don't. We get any were from 25-30 students very 15 days. I normally see them in open shop and assist them with repairing their cars and passing hallways daily. I also work an AM & PM shift which changes students. The topics very from next class they have and what their going to do when they graduate.

Interesting point, Brian. It seems that managers most typically get involved when a rules or policy violation is the topic. Other issues probably can be best addressed by a caring faculty member or a counselor.

Charles, has this practice been effective? Is there scheduled follow up after the advising form is given to the student?

Bonita, has this use of program directors as advisors been successful? Are departmental retention rates shared or published? Has this lead to a healthy competition to improve?

To assist with Academic Erosion our campus uses an active tutor center which has a combined student and instructor tutor base to help with student success. This resource is open all day including computer based learning lessons which can help to enhance and foster the students learning and confidence. As educators we also reach out to students we see struggling and offer additional assistance. My students can come in before or after class for extra assistance with either lab or class issues.

Sign In to comment