Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We offer tutoring for the student, counseling for the student if needed. We have a retention coordinator. We also let the student know that the instructors are available to talk to them.

We offer tutoring and advising, but another great program is the six week success course students take if they are on academic probation. It gives them tools for dealing with stress and conflicts as well as study and life skills.

At my institution we try to meet with new students, during the first half of their first quarter. During this meeting, we discuss how their classes are going. In this meeting, we discuss if they have any questions and if things are going good. Here they are able to get any help that they need.

Our school offers tutoring. We also have a retention coodinater.We are also involved in staff training on this subject. I try to let students know, myself, the other instructors,and entire school are genuenly invested in thier success.

It is amazing how much a simple smile and acknowledgement from an instructor can make on a student. We have many programs in our school and there are some students I see every morning. I make a point of talking to each one of them, especially if it is the first time I see them that day. I have since had some of those students invite me to a class to see one of their presentations, they have come to me for advice--and all because I spoke to them in the hallway! Wow! This has been a great learning experience!

We also use advisements to let students know how they are progressing. We conduct advisements at least two (2) times during each course. These advisements are conducted for both, positive and negative behaviors. You must praise them for what they are doing right if you want to change what they are doing wrong.

We use an early alert system to identify students early in the quarter who are having attendance, grade or other issues which may affect their performance in the class. The student will usually set up a meeting with the Program Director and the instructor may attend if plausible.

We allow students to view their grades online each day of the term if they like. We also have mid-term evaluations for the students to complete to let the instructors now how they are doing in conveying the materials.

We use early warning sheets to notify advisors when students are struggling academically or with attendance. Then the appropriate advisor or instructor meets with the student to work out an improvement plan.

We have a learning lab that we can refer students to in order to get remedial help.

A Verbal Advisement is done when an instructor has any indication that a student is performing at a unsatisfactory level. If performance does not improve then a Written Advisement is done as a follow up. If further intervention is needed, student is referred to an Education Manager.

I have a few older students who feel that they have been out of school for so long that they cannot possibly keep up with other students. I assure them that they have have much more real world experience to carry them through where the younger students have little or no real world experience. I assure the older student that they are on equal if not better ground than the younger student. This discussion encourages the older student to hang in there and continue knowing that the professor understand completely what they are thinking.

We provide a seminar in work studies to help students with methods for taking notes in class, doing homework, completing papers and studying for exams. Many students do not have good study habits and this seminar is directed at those identified as needing assistance.

One of the best methods for combating Academic Stagnation is to bring in professionals in the field for guest lectures. Students get the opportunity to see first-hand where their education can lead them. They also have to chance to interact with their future peers.

calling students that have missed classes to follow up and encourage them

Our instution uses intervention write-ups. These allow for the professor to submit paperwork as soon as possible to help intervene with the student when the professor is aware of anything that may be problematic with the student.

Since communication is key in the intervention process, keeping track of the students that are either missing too many classes and/or assigments is crucial. It is really easy to fall behind in fast-paced learning, so missing a few days can trigger stress.

We call the student after two days if they had not contacted us, and when I say we, it is not only the instructor's job but also an administators as well.

At the mid-term, in addition to posting the students grade we meet with the students to verbally communicate their grade, let them know how they are doing, and what areas they need to improve on. For those students who are in danger of failing, either to to academic performance or poor attendance, we are required to not only meet with them but must have them sign a form indicating that they have been told that they are in danger of failing the course and that we have discussed an action plan for them to follow for the remainder of the course.

Hi Robert and Lisa, it’s nice to meet you!

Your post exchange stuck out to me and I enjoyed reading your responses.

Lisa, you note the following:

“It is amazing how much a simple smile and acknowledgement from an instructor can make on a student. “

>>> I have also found this to be very much the case. A single act of kindness and recognition can go a long way to motivating students.

The adult students that I have known often have a variety of challenges at work, at home, and in their personal lives, so sometimes all of those pressures combined with schoolwork can really weigh a person down.

In terms of intervention, I have found that approaching at-risk students with a combination of understanding and a firm attitude is the best approach.

This is because with too much of a “soft” approach, many at-risk students will succumb to the victim and self-pity mind set, and this is a very ineffective approach to schoolwork. When I acknowledge their troubles and let them know that I understand their situation, but also let them know that they don’t have to accept defeat or “excuses” from themselves – they really listen and take it to heart.

What methods do you use to encourage your students to take responsibility for their time management and success, especially early on in terms of intervention?

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts and comments on the matter.

Thanks!

Jeremy Bolton

Hi Grant,

Nice to meet you!

I have often heard of this approach but my institution personally does not use it.

I have known of institutions and other professors who have used this method, and from what I have heard and can anticipate, it does not seem like it would be as effective as other methods. I have found that students often like to discuss their problems on the phone, much like they would with a personal counselor - rather than discussing a rational and clear method for success in school.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts and comments on your experience with this method? Do you find that it is effective with your students?

Thanks!

Jeremy Bolton

Sign In to comment