Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have a mid-term counseling requirement whenever any student's overall grade in a course falls below 80%. There is a formal procedure and paperwork, and this process is mandatory.

We enter grades on a regular basis, by the time of the Mid Term, each student is presented with a "Report Card". At this time, delinquent work is discussed with a plan to make it up. Attendance is also addressed.
If a student displays early on that they are having issues with the work or with attendance, this is addressed on an individual basis.

When students are struggling with concepts or a particular subject, we offer tutoring either by an instructor, or a fellow student and form study groups

At our school we inform the students about there grades on a weekly basis. We also fill an academic progress paperwork if they are struggling. That way the student has been advised verbally and a written document supports the conversatio.

We also have a mid-term advisement to let the student know how they are progessing,and if a student is doing poorly I will take them to the side and try to see what can be done for improvement.

I make my teaching interactive with each student so as long as they interact and participate, they cannot fail. So far it hasn't failed me....but I suspect if one doesn't show up, that would destroy their grade.

Pre counsel forms are presented that will allow the student and instructor to sit down and discuss threats and weakness.

We use mid-term counseling forms for students who are a C or below. I think it is good because we are not only notifying them when they fail, but letting them know when they are a C level. Which gives time for improvement and action.

There is a multi-step process for students having difficulties with coursework which can be used as an example.

1) Faculty member speaks with student before or after class when they can talk confidentially if the student has exhibited difficulty in doing homework or doing exams. In the discussion, the faculty member works to discover what might be at the bottom of the problem: study habits, memory difficulties, etc.

2) Faculty member then might recommend they work together. Or if the student cannot meet within the time(s) faculty member is available, the instructor might recommend they seek assistance from the Peer Tutoring Program.

3) If the student does not follow-up on the recommendations and continues to have difficulties, at the midpoint of the quarter, the student will be given a written statement that work needs to improve. It is also provided to the Program Director of the program in which the student is enrolled.

4) a verbal follow-up with the Program Director may re-iterate the usage of tutoring or some other means of study habits, group study, other possible scenarios that can work within the student's schedule.

Quite often the student becomes discouraged or actually doesn't show concern over their grades. These bring the student's focus back to what needs to done to continue successfully.

Quick referral of students who are experiencing problems to appropriate personnel.

We utilize Academic Advisements as well for student not performing to par. As an instructor with a larger class and somewhat complicated curriculum I don't allow the student to not know how they are performing. Each week I sit with each student for about 3-5 minutes to discuss their current grade and missing assingments to date. This gives me immediate feedback on issues with the student and or gives us some one-on-one time to build trust and concern for their academic success. I find I can manage and address issues before they become insurmountable.

Are these one on one interactions in your office or the classroom? Do the students have scheduled times to meet? How long are the conversations?

The process sounds like it is rewarding but time intensive.

Are these one on one interactions in your office or the classroom? Do the students have scheduled times to meet? How long are the conversations?

The process sounds like it is rewarding but time intensive.

When are these pre-counsel forms used? Is there a follow up form that goes into the student's file?

The conversations are one on one. We schedule a day for the students to meet with each student, during class time. The conversations can last 2 minutes if they are having no issues or they can be 15 minutes if they have concerns and questions. It's a great way to not "lose" a student that is struggling or afraid to ask for help. If a student is struggling, this is a time to schedule a tutoring session and or counseling session. I don't really see a negative to the conference. Time consuming? Not really. But then of course we have 25 students in the day program. So that really is only and hour and a half of time if everyone took 5 minutes.

Our student satisfaction surveys (which can be anonymous) ask how students feel about their current courses and instructors. If a course or instructor gets overall low marks those areas would be addressed looking at curriculum/syllabi and instructor efficacy. Our Student Success Coordinator has an open-door policy for anyone needing to step in and just chat or air out problems. As a new employee of only 8 days I am not yet in a position of full knowledge of this institution's practices but I am learning each day.

Each week students are given updates of what their grades are to let them know where they stand whether it be good or bad that way if students are not doing very well, it gives them a chance to implement a plan of what needs to take place in order for them to improve

For each class missed by a student, each instructor is asked to call him or her to find the reason for the absence. We maintain a call log for this. Another practice that we have, is if a student is in danger of being dropped because of excessive absences, then we are asked to speak with him or her and develop an action plan, which is documented, for him/her to get caught up in the class.

We have a counseling form that instructors can fill out for students to give them an idea of how well they are doing in the class. It includes the teacher's recommendations for improvement and a list of questions for the student to answer (a self-assesment). This form can be used at the mid-term but also any time during the term.

We start early building trust between our program directors and the students, providing a base for intervention if necesssary. During their first month the PD and the studen have weekly face to face meetings in either the office or in the common area. When instructors see academic erosion or stagnation they are the first line to engage the student if they can handle the problem they do so but they also send an early alret form to the appropriate program director. The PD will then follow up with the instructor and/or refer the student to the appropraite depart,ent/agency/individual to try to help the student resolve the issue before it beccomes a crisis.

Sign In to comment