Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We had to have an intervention with one of our previous students do to his lack of respect not only for instructors but for his fellow students as well, but the final outcome pretty much came to us switching him with another class or he was going to be removed from the school indefinitely.

Interesting. Sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference. Did this switch make a difference? If so, were you able to determine why the change of class turned things around?

At my institution we document attendance, tardiness, tutoring, then we attempt to contact the student each class they are absent. We monitor the grades closely and constantly look for patterns. Based off the grades and attendance we will request in writing a mandatory tutoring. We have midterm reports and meet with each student regarding where they stand in grading and attendance.

Advising forms to identify area of concern.

At end of week 3, Midterm evaluations between student and instructor to assess student's progress. If below standard, discussion between Program Director, instructor and student is initiated as an intervention.

We utilize our student portal to give the students a real time view of their grades. I also have the students bring me their grades on Monday so I know they are looking at them. I'll also post questions and problems on the portal for them to post the answers. I think this engages them and keeps them on top of their personal progress.

Christa, this sounds like a team effort. Who are the players and who leads the efforts?

Paper? Electronic? Where do they go and who is responsible for follow up?

Having students bring a copy of their grades to you is an interesting way to engage your students, Luke. How do they react to this? Do you get any push-back?

To be honest it did help with his attitude because the class that he was put into was an evening class with a lot older people and the class that he had left was a younger crowd which was pretty much straight out of high school.

To prevent academic erosion our school strives to have a good student to teacher ratio. That way instructors are not overwhelmed with the number of students. Thus giving them the opportunity to give the right amount of attention to each student. There are also amazing counselors to go over concerns before enterin a program. Thus hopefully eliminating any stress from going to school.

This 3 stage process matches what we do at our institution. I believe it is important to regularly weave in the compassionate conversations throughout this process, to make sure the student knows that they matter.

If a student is observed to be failing a class whether it be due to academic, attendance, or professionalism the instructor will write up an Advisory Form which is a communication device to ensure the student is aware of all his available opportunities, so if he needs help he can take advantage of it before it is to late.

Jamie, how has your institution developed a target for student::teacher ratio? Does it vary by type of course or when it's offered?

I'm glad to hear that you are using this process, Paul. I hope it's been effective for you. Do you have any suggestions to improve the process as presented?

How is this Advisory Form communicated to the student, Shawn? Does it become part of their file? Are they required to respond to the finding?

Hi Paul,

I've found that taking the time to spend a few moments in the classroom with the group before class and interacting with them then, off the clock goes a long way towards showing them that instructors really care. I know that many students notice when they feel--rightly or wrongly-- that their teacher can't wait to get out of the room.

I've also found that taking a few moments with each student each day during line-up, to just have a personal back and forth (how they're doing, checking in on missing assignments) is another technique for keeping things positive.

What approaches do you find to be the most helpful for you?

I found this to be an interesting discussion.

In class, I do my best to give each student a clean slate each day, and answer the questions that come up, and seek out students to discuss opportunities to do better, as well as give specific praise when I see students making an effort, marked improvement, or adding an interesting perspective to our discussions. I make a point of letting the class know that I see our time together as a group as special time, and my decisions during that time are made with the group in mind, but that I am open to discussing things with them individually between activities, during breaks, or during office hours. When I have to say no in that context, I always make a point to express that I want to hear the whole story, and that their issue deserves my full attention, but I have obligations to the group as well-- and then I offer a time to speak later in the day outside of class.

As for outside of class, I've found that I never really say no to a student-- At my school we're required to hold office hours, so I don't feel that a student can be using too many of these since most of them are as the first poster in this discussion noted, not actually used. I listen, and try to figure out what the issues are, and then find out what the student wants, and then try to discuss options that the student has for achieving them.

Where I draw the line is that for students who are behind or missing work, I ask them to commit to an appointment to discuss the situation in-depth or make the work up if that is appropriate based on the circumstances. I make sure they know that I know they are balancing many issues, and that I understand where they are coming from, and I make a point to specifically recognize any type of positive efforts/behaviors that the student has demonstrated in the situation up to that point. I have found this lowers defensive barriers, and lets the student know that I am not responding unfairly in a knee-jerk fashion.

I think that this is what allows me to stay firm on stating what I expect from them to resolve the situation, but keeps the situation from becoming adversarial.

At our school we make sure that the instructors stay on top of academic performance; they have to report any concerns to lead instructors, of course, they do this to involve as many people as possible and to make sure everybody is aware of any red flags send by the students. The instructors will develope a plan with the student and continuosly monitor their performance.

we also run S.A.P every 12 weeks (half the school population at the time) and follow up with a different procedure to advise any students performance. The intsructors are also involved in this process.
staying on top of Student performance can really help with retention.

Our administration has recently launched a "chain of command" referral system for faculty. If a student has a concern, we have a flow chart and forms we use to direct the concern to the appropriate personnel. The system also provides follow-up to faculty members that refer a student so we can be assured the issue was resolved.

Sign In to comment