Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many Academic Institutions offer support groups, learning labs, student services, and counselors and advisers who are also there to help.

I often email my students to check on how they are doing and feeling. I encourage students who might look like they are giving up to talk about what they are experiencing with their Adviser and to work together create a better plan.

Most Academic Institutions ask faculty to contact any leaner that seems to be suffering signs of erosion or apathy.

These students are then further contacted by the university to assure that their needs are being met and that they can reaming successfully in the program of their choice.

Upon noticing that a student seems to not follow the rules consitently a verbal notice is given and then a written notice is given.

Academic advisement and remedial support are the primary intervention practices designed to address academic erosion or academic stagnation. Since students seldom come forward in a timely manner, however, it is incumbent on course instructors to reach out to students at risk before they pass the point of no return. The challenge, of course, is to identify the risk factors and take preventive measures before it is too late.

You write that your institution offers "counseling for the student if needed...We also let the student know that the instructors are available to talk to them." Since students seldom come forward in a timely manner, however, is it your experience that instructors must reach out to students at risk before they pass the point of no return? If so how do you identify the risk factors and take preventive measures before it is too late?

We have an advising program where the Lead Faculty will meet with each student and fill out an advising form. This usually happens around mid term. We have open labs that include supervison while practicing nursing skills, assistants with a computer review program and 1:1 tutoring sessions. We also let the student know that the instructors are available to talk to them.

What we try to incorporate at our institution is to be proactive in elinating Academic Erosion during orientation the message conveyed is that every student is very capable and very smart, but we all have different ways of learning. Following new student orientation the first quarter of classes these student are required to take a career development class to make the student aware of their self worth and their true potential. We believe that if a student is encouraged during their first quarter it will motivate them to succeed. By using this tactic our hope is to possibly eliminate Academic Erosion. Along with the previous strategies listed the instructors attend in-services and other training events to learn new teaching techniques and how to relate to the changing generations.

At our institution we practice several intervention methods. We call the student each absence and make a written note on a call log. We do mid-quarter progress reports so the students are informed of their grade and offer ways to improve the weak areas. Also, all internal email communicating issues or concerns are sent CC so everyone is kept informed on the students behalf.

I constantly engage in dialog with my students concerning their grades a study habits. We also have a Retention Coordinator who monitors their activity.

The intervention practice that adresses Academic Erosion/Stagnation at my institution is that we have an employee in place as the "Student Success Coordinator", who will contact the students, and set aside time to meet with the them individually to address their issues/concerns; which in most cases, will lead to successfully getting the students back on track and completing the program of study.

At mid-term, instructors are required to submit mid-term grades to students. If a student is passing (or not passing) the course at a C level or less, the grade and any suggestions for how the student can improve is documented in writing, and submitted to the student, academics department, and the student's program director. The program director, ten has a consultation with the student, and may bring the instructor in on the consultation.

At any time, students may go to the Student Success Coordinator, and express concerns if they are not satisfied with the level of instruction or assistance a faculty member is providing. At that point, some intervention between the instructor and the student is initiated.

Does this course include an exploration of different learning modalities or attempt to identify weaknesses in their approach to learning? Does it present strategies to overcome deficiencies?

Loren Kroh

Do the people who are CC'd ever meet to discuss the student and develop a cohesive support strategy?

Loren Kroh

We have both assigned staff members (usually instructors who are dedicated), or student tutors (volunteers) who are available to help students that are struggling with academic issues. We call it "Fast Lane". It is an opportunity for independent study, and support from the sources above as well as a boost from the instructor who encourages the student to use this resource. The only thing that holds back these students is "time". They must find time in their busy schedule to use the resource. But it can be very powerful if they will apply it, and use it.

I have a spreedsheet listing all the required projects that is current at the beginning of every class day, when I notice a student wasting time I try to lead them to the easier projects so they can "get there feet wet" and hopefully get them back on track. If that dosent work I can have a meeting with an education manager, myself,and the student.

When we notice a student having problems with the course work, we notify the academic dean and either that person responds or we handle the situation ourselves. They encourage us to get involved with our students. In fact, I had a student ask me this week for help with the course work and wanted a tutor. I had no idea that he wanted help prior to now. I am so glad he was wise enough to ask before letting things get out of hand. I told him that I come to school every class day one hour before class starts to help any student that needs it and offered to help him. He will be coming early for the much needed help.
We also have academic forms available to put any information down that would be helpful for the next instructor in teaching this student.

Mary Willaims, Instructor

Sounds like a very sound system. How is it working? Can you document positive results?

Both verbal and written intervention are given based on the student academic situation.

I find that as a father of three grown boys, that my instincts are sharp in many areas with regards to how students are dealing with the module that I currently instruct. I use alot of affirmed eye contact in a caring way to let them know that I am aware of each students presence whether we are in the classroom or out in the shop doing a demo. I act on the first sign of negative natures and work to immediately turn it around with encouragement and shared promises of pay-off if they are to stay strong and complete the course with which they have started. Encouraging students is not difficult work due to me having experienced the great results that I have recieved going thru these courses myself as it has changed my life in a positive way. In my opinion, strengthening and mentoring them with reassurance is a big part of how successful they will become. I am continually searching for new ways to teach them to walk in confidence so that when it is time to run, they will be ready. If I see the excitement in their spirit, I know their right where they need to be. If not, I work to bring it back ASAP.....

Whenever a student is noticed to be struggling it is dealt with immediately. If it is a grade issue or an attendance issue we get to the heart of the issue and try to deal with it right away.

We have a variety of interventions. Every 6 weeks we sit down with each student and give them a run down of how well they are doing. Regardless of their grades, there is ALWAYS something positive an instructor can say about a student. This one on one interaction with the instructor allows the student to question their grades, ask for extra help without being embarrassed, it also allows the student to speak about concerns they may have about school. One time in particular, while doing 6 week conferences, a student made a comment "WOW really? I had no idea I was doing that well! I thought I was failing your class." It lifted the students confidence and she them became a mentor for those students that weren't academically doing as well. She invented activities to help other students learn, like matching games. SO, from the 6 week conference, also came mentoring and tutoring and confidence in that student.

Sign In to comment